1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapo DIY Painted Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neil c, Aug 12, 2005.

1. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm about to try a cheapo painted screen. I know about Screen Goo and MMud, but I want to try a real DIY effort first (if it looks bad then at least it won't have cost a penny). Anyone have any suggestions?

The room has recently been redecorated (from eggshell) to Dulux Oatcake walls and Dulux matt white emulsion ceiling, which is hardly the best for PJ use.

I'm going to use the remaing matt white emulsion to paint a white 82" screen.

I've got Kef Q series speakers in maple and silver/grey grilles, so I may paint the border grey to match the speaker grilles, although black may be more suitable. I may give the border slightly rounded edges, again to match the Kef Q Series design.

Am I better off making a screen with MDF? Or even a more advanced DIY screen with frame + screen material?

...and please let me know if this is a terrible idea!

2. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    If you read most of the threads you'll get a good idea of how good,bad it can be (mine for all the fauts are somewhere there) Light walls and ceilings are always going to be a pain because of the reflected light. But a black border does make more of a difference than you would think by improving the contrast.

MDF is far less prone to warping if it's to be used for a while. But I think once you start to use it the screen bug will bite.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I have a DIY MDF screen, Dulux matt white, matt black painted borders, custom sized to suit throw, looks shop-bought and does a fine job. Not saying it can't be improved on, but it's not a priority. Flat as a pancake too.

Definitely worth a go.

Do a search on foamex on this forum, may be another option.

...PJ :)

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 6'6" wide foamex screen and I can't fault it. It cost £20 and I've seen my PJ (panny 700) on other expensive screens in demo rooms and they look no better. I am in the process of making a velvet covered frame, as I've heard its the way to go. I do think the DIY screens are the way to go!

5. kgulls

kgulls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    A 72" MDF screen permanently fixed to the wall has provided a superb picture from my Sony HS50.
    Tried experimenting with different mixtures of white and grey emulsion until I achieved a good balance from both light and dark scenes.The bottom and top of the screen have black battened borders with the sides curtained off to take away any light spill.
    The curtains also help dampen the front wall from the rear speakers as its a relatively small room.
    Pound for pound its definitely worth a go.

6. GlennR

GlennR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Painted or using blackout cloth stretched over a frame but the most important part is to have a matt black frame. This makes a dramatic difference to viewing pleasure, picture quality perception and enhances the contrast ratio. I used 4" (100mm) skirting board with mitred edges sprayed matt black - blackout cloth stapled and stretched over the back of the frame - looks the dogs. Cost less than £20.

7. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    I bought a tester pot of dulux ice-storm 6 for £1.99 (got 2 coats on the screen area painted over a cream coloured wall and still a little left over in the tester pot) and some black velvet ribbon from Beatties for the outsied of the screen for about £11 and hey presto I'm now enjoying a pretty damn good picture on a diy screen for less than £20 - 84" diaganol too so not bad as it goes.

8. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nice one Markus - I've finished painting the screen area with Dulux Brilliant Matt White, but not done the borders yet. I was previously projecting onto the Crown Taupe colour, which is dark cream/ nearing brown colour. It worked well for blacks, but I hated the lack of whites and blues in the picture.

The image now has fantastic whites and blues, but unfortunately the picture is just too bright now.

There is normally a fair bit of ambient light in the room, but even at night with zero ambient light the picture looks just slightly washed out. I think I'll need to change to either Icestorm 5 or 6, so the tester pot information should be very handy!

I've been in and out of B&Q like a yo-yo recently - bloody projectors. Has anyone else had this problem?

9. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right guys, I've finished the screen using Ice Storm 6 for the image area and Ice Storm 3 for the border, and it's improved the picture no end.

I required 3 tester pots of Ice Storm 6 and 1 of Ice Storm 3, which totalled £8, not a bad price for the vastly improved picture, it really has made a world of difference.

10. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't mind me guys! I'm all for "Cheap", as long as the word "Good' trials behind closely.

DIY is all about doing something that makes you proud of your accomplishment. :smashin: If it costs just a few pennies of expense toward a pound of worth, then pride can turn to ecstacy!:clap:

Like so many other things, if one sees something they like, and does not look beyond that plateau to the next hill, satisfaction is more easily obtained. The PJs mentioned on this thread all can put up more than acceptable images onto White walls.

Your "all good". :)

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Do you DIY guys recommend brush- or roller-painting onto an MDF screen? If roller, smooth or the very slightly textured type?

Thanks.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

12. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Definately use a roller - and make it as fine as possible. I used a mini-roller for the borders as well, £3 from B&Q.

13. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  14. nwhitta

nwhitta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a home-made foamex screen. Excellent result for a fixed screen. Slightly more expensive than painted MDF but no painting to worry about and the material is light and easy to work with. Can be cut with a straight edge and stanley knife and easily screwed to any kind of wall.

15. dunamis

dunamis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Where did you buy the foamex from and what was the overall cost? Did you get white or grey?

dunamis

16. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Is foamex that very light sheet material with a central core of dense foam and surfaces of smooth plastic? I've only ever seen it with a gloss finish; is it available in matt, too?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

17. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    All you MDF screen makers, what is the thickness of the MDF used. :cool:

18. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Although I've not made an MDF screen, I read on the forum somewhere it's 1/2 inch > to minimise warping :) Although some people have had success with a thinner board.

19. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    sorry to hijack but....... for a DIY screen approx 7ft wide is it best to go down the painted mdf option,or just stretch some projection screen material over a wooden frame? thanks

20. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I tried projection screen material and it's too stiff to fold over properly. The folk on here use blackout material which is not the same thing.:)

21. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    ok, i didnt no that, is one better than the other in pq or durability and.....is a diy mdf screen better or worse than a diy screen made from blackout material?

22. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I done the same, cost me like a fiver and if you throw on some white matt paint your away. I did have a pull down screen that came with the PJ but the ripples drove me insane to the point that i ripped the material off the roller and tried to make a DIY screen which ummm...failed so i threw it all out (good riddance) and bought my MDF for a fiver and painted it and have been using it for about 8 months with not one single complaint.

23. Shadow Jam

Shadow Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think i have probably done the cheapest (though most certainly not best, job)

i got 3 pieces of pine i think it is, from the hardware store. they arent really as strong as i like, since they are only 1cmx2cm. they cost £1.50 each

they were all 8 feet long. Im an idiot so i didnt build it to 4:3 or 16:9 i did it to 3:2

I took one length and cut in half, this gave me my two side pieces i then cut 2 feet from each of the others, giving me 2 6 feet long pieces for the top and bottom. i then cut my two small pieces in half, so i had 4x 1 foot long pieces which i stuck diagonally across the corner. to fix it together i used a small bottle of super glue (3 bottles for £1) and a staple gun for the main frame. 3 staples on each side corner (24 staples in total) and lots of glue gave me my basic square.

i then used some old screws to fix on the diagonal corner pieces.

Now here is the really cheap part, which probably isnt the best idea ever. I used a tesco value bedsheet (£3 or £4, cant remember) .I stapled this on all sides so it was nice and tight. After debating for a while i decided to paint it with some "brilliant white" i had left over from decorating. 1 coat on the backside and about 3 or 4 on the front side. i used a sort of furry square brush which gives a nice smooth coat, dont know if anyone knows what i mean.

the only problem is the frame has warped a little, so i have since got another piece of wood, which i had run vertically in the middle, and has vectified that mostly. I have stretched the material a little in places where i pushed to hard with the brush, but this isnt to bad. I have yet to view a movie on it (i tried with a crap pj, but not a good one and it was somewhat better than my pale blue wall....)

overall im sure its not as good as a shop for one, but considering i paid for most of the parts, at under £10 its not to bad.

something which might be worth looking into is school white boards. my school is upgrading to interactive white boards, so i expect they will throw the old ones out. hopefully i will be able to pick one of those up, for free.

24. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    It is available in a matt finish. I have just spoken to a manufacturer/supplier and I can get a 200x113cm piece in a matt finish for £25 :clap:

Thats my screen sorted when I get to that stage of proceedings!

25. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks for that. I'm thinking of installing a fixed screen and this Foamex sounds ideal. I must try to find a supplier.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

26. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Don't know where you are Bert but this place is in Wolverhampton in the Midlands.

I can PM you the contact details if you like.

27. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Stevegreen,

I'm in south-east Kent, but I'd appreciate the details in case I can't turn up a more local supplier. Many thanks.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

28. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Could I have them as well please, Just doing a referb of my cinema room.

29. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    sent :smashin:

30. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    that's cheap, I bought an 8'x4' MDF 6mm sheet plus all the batons from my local DIY shop. I was already projecting onto the wall so knew exactly the 16:9 size I needed hence I got the DIY shop to cut it precisely to size and deliver it too! Came to about 19 quid all in, I gave them 20. Already had the white paint, small pot of matt black was 3 or 4 quid.

...PJ