Cheapish TV - Is a warranty worth it?

JoyDivision1982

Standard Member
I am buying a new TV for my parents Christmas present, my mum doesn't like big TVs so I have settled on a 32" 1080p Samsung. It is to replace an awful 24" Panasonic 720p Vestal unit which although works fine when I bought it a few years back I had no idea it was just a Vestal with a Panasonic badge on top but it shows in the build quality and the design.

So here is my question, I can get the Samsung for £200 at Argos or Currys with a 1 year warranty for Richer Sounds for £250 (assuming it is in stock) but with a 6 year warranty. I've only ever had one faulty TV and that was 28" LG unit that suffered from capacitor plaque in the power supply.

So my question is are Samsung TVs still generally reliable? I have a 22" one from 2008 that is still going strong although I only use it occasionally on old computers.

happyhour

Novice Member
Personally given the choice I would pay the extra. Back in the mid 2000s I bought a Philips tv, about 13 months in it packed in quite epically. Saved me about £300 on a new 23 inch tv and the tv was rebuilt. Still works to this day although the picture is awful

JoyDivision1982

Standard Member
I have been reading up on the RS price match and I don't think they will match it due to the warranty difference. I am guessing RS can use the better warranty as an excuse not to price match. I might see if they can knock something off though.

RS do sell a Toshiba for £230 which is 1080p and has a 6 year warranty but that is a Vestal unit which puts me off.

mikej

Yes, Richer Sounds probably won't price-match due to the big warranty difference but I have heard of others getting some money knocked off. If you sign up to their VIP email list, they occasionally send out vouchers. I got £10 off a 28" LG TV recently that way.

When I was looking at similar TVs a while ago, I think I discounted that Samsung for a few reasons - reports of wi-fi connectivity problems was one of them, IIRC.

I came to the conclusion that the LG 32LM6370 was the best of the bunch but, unfortunately, it's exclusive to Curry's so a free extended warranty isn't an option at the moment.

happyhour

Novice Member
I’m looking for a 24 inch, swerving vestel or umc with badges glued on is getting a pain, hoping lg still do them without having to buy a monitor and a fire stick

vickster

Distinguished Member
When I bought my 32LM6300, there was iirc a £20 difference between Currys and RS. I called the latter and although they wouldn’t match Currys, they did knock a tenner off, took my order there and then and delivered within a few days. Definitely worth a 5 minute call to their customer service team. If the TV is slated for a Boxing Day sale reduction, you might get a lower price (as they do a 14 day retrospective price match)

mikej

I’m looking for a 24 inch, swerving vestel or umc with badges glued on is getting a pain, hoping lg still do them without having to buy a monitor and a fire stick
If you can push the size to 28", then there's the LG 28TN525S - I bought one as an upgrade for an old 22" (non-smart) LG bedroom LCD recently. My expectations were low but I've been pleasantly surprised - viewing angles are good enough for my slightly off-axis viewing and the HD picture quality is actually pretty good. It only really gets used in the mornings and evenings (breakfast TV and news) plus a bit of YouTube, though. It occasionally suffers from a memory issue (like some other LG TVs) which can force an app to close, but this seems to be limited to Netflix (in my experience at least) and only happens when I've been watching other apps prior to Netflix in the same session. As most of my Netflix viewing gets done on the lounge OLED though, this really isn't an issue for me.

If you can't go as big as 28", then they also do a 24" version with feet or a central stand. My partner bought one for the kitchen and seems please with it, although the colours and viewing angles don't look quite as good as my 28" model to me.

mikej

Hopefully RS will get some 32 inch LG sets in at some stage
They've not sold a 32" LG LCD since stocks of the 32LM6300 ran out quite a while ago and seem to have chosen not to stock the (720p) 32LM637B, which Currys and John Lewis sell. Not sure how long Currys have exclusivity rights to the 1080p version (the 32LM6370).

happyhour

Novice Member
They've not sold a 32" LG LCD since stocks of the 32LM6300 ran out quite a while ago and seem to have chosen not to stock the (720p) 32LM637B, which Currys and John Lewis sell. Not sure how long Currys have exclusivity rights to the 1080p version (the 32LM6370).
Thinking of getting the one at John Lewis, it was the 6300 I wanted but might see if curry’s drop the price on the 1080p one. A slightly lower price means I don’t have to explain to my wife why a vestel would be rubbish (my parents have a Blaupunkt- umc built I think) and it’s rubbish

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom