Cheapish receiver ideas?

i_raz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have a bose acoustimass 10 ( with an extra sub). I know bose are frowned upon under these forums but I think they are decent! anyway they are for a second room and I am Looking for a cheap receiver to run them.

I have been tempted by the sony str-DH820 for about £230. also considering onkyo 606 and the denon avr1908-1911.

Looking for something cheap as possible and was wondering whether the above would be ok with the bose? Does Anyone have any thoughts? Any other receivers upto £300. the cheaper the better bit must decode hd sound.

I have an expensive high end set up in another room so I am looking for something cheapish to run the bose.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Dante

Thanks for ur response? Any Idea how this compares to the sony? I don't mind buying second hand either. With the sony I can get 5 years warranty for £250 including the amp.

There is also a denon 2310 on the forums for £300. will that be an overkill for the bose?

Dante

Thanks for ur response? Any Idea how this compares to the sony? I don't mind buying second hand either. With the sony I can get 5 years warranty for £250 including the amp.

There is also a denon 2310 on the forums for £300. will that be an overkill for the bose?

It is placed one step up from the Sony and originally sold for £500. It is more comparable to the Yamaha RXV671 or the Onkyo TXNR609 than to the Sony STRDH820. The Sony is a good little amp, but the Denon is a lot better for not that much more. Either Denon will perform better with music than the Sony. Denon are one of the more musically orientated AV amp manufactures.

I don't think you are gaining very much by purchasing a secondhand AVR2310. At least you are getting a 3 year warranty with the AVR1912 and HDMI 1.4 for some degree of future proofing. It was a good amp though and you can still get a few back stock AVR2310 for a bit more than £300 and with 12 months guarantee. It wouldn't be overkill and it is only slightly more powerful than the AVR1912. It is the video processing abilities of the AVR2310 that surpass those of the AVR1912 more than the audio. Most people don't need or use such video processing abilities anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks you have almost convinced me to go for the 1912. I will only be using it for movies, and maybe 1% for music though.

U mentioned the onkyo 609 how does that compare to the denon? I know it's about £100 more but if it will be a substantial improvement in sound then I may be tempted to increase my budget? I previously had the Yamaha rx-v3800 in the other room and when I changed to an onkyo 876 I found that the onkyo had alot more control over the speakers (monitor audio gs60's). Just wondering whether the 609 will be similar?

I am not to fussed about video scaling etc as this amp will only be used when I can't be bothered to switch the projector on in the other room!

Thanks

Thanks you have almost convinced me to go for the 1912. I will only be using it for movies, and maybe 1% for music though.

U mentioned the onkyo 609 how does that compare to the denon? I know it's about £100 more but if it will be a substantial improvement in sound then I may be tempted to increase my budget? I previously had the Yamaha rx-v3800 in the other room and when I changed to an onkyo 876 I found that the onkyo had alot more control over the speakers (monitor audio gs60's). Just wondering whether the 609 will be similar?

I am not to fussed about video scaling etc as this amp will only be used when I can't be bothered to switch the projector on in the other room!

Thanks

I think the only clear advantage with the Onkyo would be its ability to upscale SD and non HDMI sources to HD and HDMI. The AVR can convert analogue to HDMI, but lacks the ability to upscale to HD. The Onkyo also relies on an onboard fan for cooling. I'm not sure about noise levels from the fan, but this may be a determining factor. I'd personally rate the Yamaha RXV671 higher than the Onkyo, but maybe this is just my personal opinion? I don't think you can beat the AVR1912 for the money being asked for it.

Any Idea how this compares to the sony?

I'm in a position to speak since I own both. I'm using my 1912 with canton MX speakers for my main and the Sony with Jamo speakers for my PC's.

I was using the Sony as my main up until last week when I got the Denon. I was very pleased and dont rate one as vastly superior to the other. The Denon is good and I seem to get more out of the speakers, especially the rears although you have to turn the volume higher. The Sony was nice in that you could use two subs but I was getting complaints from my neighbours and it all seemed a bit boomy. The Denon is perhaps more refined and the sound better held together, if that makes sense. It also has more HDMI inputs which you never think you will use but eventually do.

Up until a month ago I was using an Onkyo SR508 but that broke down and both of the other amps have given me a better viewing and sound experience.

Cant go wrong with either at 220 and 300 now I believe. Delighted with both.

Dante

Thanks for your responses so far which have been helpful. Talking about scaling/upconversion I note the onkyo has 4k scaling. Although not relevant just yet this could be useful future.

Sutton

Thanks for your input its always useful having input from someone who has owned the kit. I will probably go to have a look at both next week and decide. In the meantime I will try to see if I can pick up a higher end second hand amp for similar price.

I wanted to spend little as possible as I will be only using this amp for about 2 hours a month! My main setup is in the other room which I use predominantly.

Re: using 2 subs it can cause problems if it not setup properly. Boom is usually caused by placing them too close to the wall.however 2 subs can make a massive difference.

Regards

Guys thanks for your input. I have decided to go down the second hand route and just purchased a denon 4308 instead. Hopefully it will be next week when I receive it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom