cheapest way to have hd in two rooms

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by serge, Dec 19, 2006.

1. serge

serge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi
    i have hdmi cable to plasma downstairs

cat 5 running to lcd upstairs from component
    i brought 20 mtrs of cat 5 cable 4 ply (2x4) for 16p a metre from a electrical wholesale im sure price is wrong:D lol

brought jack plugs from maplin for 1.28each

soldered it, tried it out

very good picture

for sound i have used 20 mtr phono cable from ebay 3.99

u may get cat 5 8 ply 2x8 then you can have sound on too

less wires lol

oh maplin said cat 5 wont work no screening they said i need 15 mtr joiner then a 5 mtr totaling 150 quid i paid a tenner in all and much thinner cable
    to go upstairs

hope this helps

2. quinnmar

quinnmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Glad to hear you're sorted Serge.

I've got an OCTO LNB hooked up with four pairs of two-way cable running from it;

1) downstairs living room cupboard (though not in use, nor terminated in the living room)
    2) upstairs bedroom cupboard where my SkyHD decoder is now situated
    3) another bedroom feeding another Sky decoder with a freeview card
    4) into the same bedroom with the view to feeding a PC capture card of some description?

I've run a 13 metre length of screened CAT5 cable via the SkyHD decoder component output to feed my 40" LCD HDTV in the living room. I also ran a 10 metre digital optical cable from the SkyHD decoder down to my AV receiver in the living room cupboard.

I'm amazed at the PQ, both SD & HD, via component and the audio feed works a treat also giving me DD etc.

The only remaining thing for me to do is make up another CAT5 cable to run from the RGB SCART at the back of the SkyHD decoder into the other bedroom and I'll be able to 'capture' or copy SD stuff from the decoder onto my PC as well as watch all the channels available on my subscription.

Having bought a Harmony 895 universal remote control and a couple of RF extenders, I can now control all my AV equipment from anywhere in the house. Needless to say, I'm a happy bunny that's saved a few bob with this installation.

Please note you can only get CAT5 or CAT6 cable in four pair, i.e. 8-wire, so there is no way to have an audio feed via the same cable used for the video. You need to run another cable.

3. serge

serge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi thanks for reply
    im a novice at this lol
    i have sep cable for sound where i brought cat 5 they only had 4 pair cable and not screened ... will screened make a big diff in pq??

serge

4. quinnmar

quinnmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Dunno if screened does make a difference or not. I decided to put my faith and trust in fellow member, tomatoface, as he had great success pumping the component out via screened CAT5 cable.

Have a look at this sticky more more info... http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414293

5. jeeps

jeeps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Quinnmar,

Where did you get your 895 from, they are rock hard to source at a cheap price at the moment.

Cheers,

6. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    quinnmar,

could you tell me where you got your 10mtr optical cable from and how much it cost please, thanks

7. quinnmar

quinnmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I got mine via amazon.co.uk, though I didn't realise at the time the seller was actually based in Germany. I think I paid about £190 inc of shipping and it arrived less than a week later.

komplett.co.uk seem to be as reasonable as anyone else in the U.K. and their Technical Support is really good - as is the TS from Logitech.

Good luck...

8. quinnmar

quinnmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I bought mine on eBay http://search.ebay.co.uk/10-optical-cable_W0QQfromZR8QQssPageNameZRC0021 and think I paid about a tenner for it.

My philosophy is you wouldn't spend mega bucks on a USB cable made by Monster for example, (if one was actually available), so I got a reasonably priced one as it's a digital , not analogue, thus it either works or it doesn't.

Good luck...

9. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    quinnmar,

thank you for the info