1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest way to extend Wireless Ariel

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by DJW, Apr 10, 2004.

1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

To date I have run a wireless setup with no probs, but have now relocated my main PC in the basement with the Home Cinema gear.

Problem is now the PCI wireless card cannot pick up signal from Wireless modem....the Basement has a 2 ft thick brick ceiling.

I can't move the modem, as I use for work from another room for Thinkpad.

Is there anyway of buying an extension lead for the ariel on the PCI card to allow me to place ariel near door entrance & thus recieve a signal. I'm looking at about a 12 ft run.

Card in PC is the bog std one from EBuyer :- http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52898

Any ideas :lease: & as cheap as possible ;)

Cheers Dave

2. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If they're standard connectors on the EBuyer card you might be able to get a matching cable from here

Given the price of some of the cables though it might be cheaper to get a USB wireless adaptor. I wouldn't have thought a 12ft run would present much of a problem for a USB device/

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers

Ref last point re USB WAP, where do you suggest to find the cheapest ? I was struggling to find one at a decent price on Ebuyer.

Dave