Cheapest UK electricity tariff

Wow, prices are crazy. Checked a few sites and the best quotes so far are coming in well over £500 per year more than I’m currently paying - that’s putting in my actual usage, and I’m well in credit at the moment too!

Edf were best for us, we just went fixed for 3 years, no exit fees. prices are starting to get crazy.

I posted on the other usage thread that wholesale gas & electric prices are incredibly crazy and getting higher across Europe and Asia. You already know there’s a rise coming from October which is already being factored into bills. The next announcement from Ofgem about the price cap will be in February 2022 for another rise from 1 April 2022. My advice would be to fix as far ahead as you can as the markets are showing no signs of cooling down.

Also I found that when I swapped in Feb that cheap energy club that I had used for quite some time were more expensive then uswitch for the same supplier. In my case it was eon and I saved 160 over the year (I use quite a lot of juice). Both tariffs were “exclusive” and better than the equivalent direct even with large cash back at the time so it does post to use multiple comparison sites

Just renewed on a fixed 1 year deal with Neon Reef as I did no want to wait and find rates increasing even more. In the end I my unit rate has increased by just under 5p/kWh, so approx 40% more than what I have been paying for the last 18 months. I’m resigned to laying about £1k a year more for my energy over the next 12 months, and hopefully this is a short term anomaly, but who knows where the wholesale market will be next year!

Edf were best for us, we just went fixed for 3 years, no exit fees. prices are starting to get crazy.
I have just moved from Igloo to Edf as igloo have just put the prices up again. I locked into a 3 year deal which will cost me £11 a month more then with Igloo after the price rise.
Edf also give me a £100 credit on my account for switching to them. I also recommend my mam as she was with Igloo too and we got a extra £50 Each. It’s also tracking for £60 with Quidco.

Better lock in any new deals quickly - wholesale prices have been insane recently due to a number of factors, and not helped by the fire at the UK side of one of the France-UK interconnectors. The cable damage is not due to be fixed until March next year! I saw prices for peak time quoted at £2500 per megawatt-hour this week when it might normally have been under £100 per megawatt-hour. And the same press article suggested that last week generators with additional capacity available at short notice were being paid as much as £4000 per megawatt-hour to help keep the lights on. So increasingly high energy prices look to be here for the next 12 months or so!

Been looking around over the last few days & OVO was looking a likely candidate. Just been back on their site & they now appear to have withdrawn all fixed tariffs. Just a single offering of a variable rate.

Just renewed on a fixed 1 year deal with Neon Reef as I did no want to wait and find rates increasing even more. In the end I my unit rate has increased by just under 5p/kWh, so approx 40% more than what I have been paying for the last 18 months. I’m resigned to laying about £1k a year more for my energy over the next 12 months, and hopefully this is a short term anomaly, but who knows where the wholesale market will be next year!
Be very careful, maybe cancel if you can !!
Neon Reef is a sister company to Utility Point who went bust yesterday.
They are situated in Bournemouth a few miles away from Poole where Utility Point are/were and most worryingly have the same CEO namely Ben Bolt.

Be very careful, maybe cancel if you can !!
Neon Reef is a sister company to Utility Point who went bust yesterday.
They are situated in Bournemouth a few miles away from Poole where Utility Point are/were and most worryingly have the same CEO namely Ben Bolt.
That’s a bit of a worry, but as I’m switching away from Symbio, and have the rigmarole of convincing them to stop blocking the transfer due to debt (which is entirely fictitious as they estimate my usage at more than 4x what I actually use), it takes a lot longer to get to the point of being able to transfer. Neon Reef are several hundreds of pounds a year cheaper than my next best offer, although still more than £1k a year more expensive than what I’ve been paying recently, so it’s a case of needs must until such time as they fold.

I had a look at Symbio on Trustpilot and someone in your situation trying to switch (could be you) has some good advice, post is by JE about 6 posts down as of now. I will say one thing for them though, they don't seem to be using (many) fictitious customers giving excellent 5 star ratings unlike a company I used to be a customer of.

I had a look at Symbio on Trustpilot and someone in your situation trying to switch (could be you) has some good advice, post is by JE about 6 posts down as of now. I will say one thing for them though, they don't seem to be using (many) fictitious customers giving excellent 5 star ratings unlike a company I used to be a customer of.
The energy grapevine says Symbio is also in trouble. EDF have been appointed to take on Utility Point customers.

The energy grapevine says Symbio is also in trouble. EDF have been appointed to take on Utility Point customers.
Thanks for the info as I'd heard nothing and the takeover is happening tomorrow apparently.

Just switched mine to EON fixed for 12 months, which was the next cheapest after Neon Reef - but after switching to another supplier that collapsed before the switch went through a couple of years ago, I’m wary about these small fish.

Hot tub won’t be used anymore that’s for certain, both electricity and gas costs have risen almost 70% from my old tariff. The only silver lining is that I’m paying the same per month, but that’s without the hot tub usage and I was building up credit as well!

Slightly misleading headline. Essentially companies who didn’t hedge their volumes in advance are buying on the market at these incredible prices. That and their payments under the renewable obligations scheme are due to Ofgem on 1st October. For those reasons it’s highly likely that a few will go to the wall. Symbio and Avro are 2 who are in trouble but I don’t know who the others might be?

My deal ends in a few weeks and was paying 15.56 per KWh for Electricity and will be switching to 25.8 per KWh which is 60% more, this is insane and will cost a further £1k per year. I might just have to leave it like this with no fixed deal and see what happens over the next 12 months or so.
Surely this cannot go on like this as these are crazy increases.

Arvo & Green Supply both gone under this afternoon with about 800k ish customers affected. More to follow in the next few days.

I was/am with AVRO . Main problem is that they have blocked access from customers to their website so customers can no longer view or download latest statement.
However to cap it all I today received an email saying how pleased they are that I have stayed with them for nearly 2 years and hope that I will continue with them after my present deal ends in 4 weeks time - click here to receive a quotation. (no it was not phishing Spam !).
If their website is still functional to dish out renewal reminders then why can customers not access statements?

Checked Boilerjuice today, and they are not delivering in our area for the foreseeable future due to excessive demand! Heating oil being panic bought then! Never seen that happen before, crazy!

Currently on a variable (Ovo) but price changes from 18.49p to 20.31p Electric and 3.26p to 3.98p for Gas.

This time last year I was paying literally nearly 50% less but a 30% odd increase back in March, along with this increase coming has bumped things up a lot.

Fortunately, even a 50% increase on my yearly bills is not a lot.

I was/am with AVRO . Main problem is that they have blocked access from customers to their website so customers can no longer view or download latest statement.
However to cap it all I today received an email saying how pleased they are that I have stayed with them for nearly 2 years and hope that I will continue with them after my present deal ends in 4 weeks time - click here to receive a quotation. (no it was not phishing Spam !).
If their website is still functional to dish out renewal reminders then why can customers not access statements?

I got an email from Avro yesterday asking me to enter meter readings for the final bill but as you say their website doesn't seem to let you do anything. I also got an email from Octopus saying they are taking over my energy supply which also asked me to submit a meter reading on Avro's site.

Probably best to take a date/time stamped photo of your meters.

my flexible octopus rate is
ELEC :
25.08p a day
18.72 kwh

GAS :
23.85p a day
3.31 kwh

Let me know if you want a referral code

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom