Cheapest UK electricity tariff

mrmhf

Established Member
Reaction score
Who’s the cheapest energy provider at the moment in the UK on a fixed tariff and what’s the rate? We’re looking to switch and need a great tariff for our ASHP.

There’s no such thing unfortunately as all providers vary their rates by region. So you need to use a whole-of-market comparison site to see what the results look like at your hone address. I use the Cheap Energy Club from the Money Saving Expert website.

depends where you live
i use this comparison site there are others

Thanks guys. The comparison sites never seem to have great deals.

I’ll check out MoneyExpert.

Many comparison sites, by default, hide suppliers they can't switch you to and get the kick-back from. So you need to deselect their filtering...

Ofgem recommends these but the same filtering problem applies.

Compare Gas & Electricity Prices - Citizens Advice Energy Comparison does show all suppliers.

Check out MSE's energy forum for the potential suppliers. Some have unique 'problems' that you may not want to suffer, even for the cheapest energy. ;)

Who’s the cheapest energy provider at the moment in the UK on a fixed tariff and what’s the rate? We’re looking to switch and need a great tariff for our ASHP.

There’s no such thing unfortunately as all providers vary their rates by region. So you need to use a whole-of-market comparison site to see what the results look like at your hone address. I use the Cheap Energy Club from the Money Saving Expert website.

The key is to know your yearly usage. I use a spreadsheet and just do it manually.
There are Bulb and Octopus Energy threads in GC.

The comparison sites never seem to have great deals.

For some value of great .......

ESB energy is worth a look (obviously it’s region dependent as are all suppliers). I currently pay 11.16p per kWh fixed until the end of this year.

I currently pay 11.16p per kWh fixed until the end of this year.
18.63 in my region when i compare on the Fixed 12m tariff.
16.202 on the Octopus tariff I am switching too.

I pay 8ppkwh fixed on octopus with 0 standing charge but that’s due to having a Tesla/battery/solar panels.

typically I find octopus to be the best overall.

i have a referral code for a mutual £50 if anyone wants to use it.

for electric cars they are unrivaled.

ESB energy is worth a look (obviously it’s region dependent as are all suppliers). I currently pay 11.16p per kWh fixed until the end of this year.
ESB are quoting me 17p per kWh. Crazy.

17 isn’t crazy, it’s about normal.

17 isn’t crazy, it’s about normal.

It will be crazy if that’s the cheapest I can get when I look for a new deal in October, as that’s over 50% more than I’m currently paying :eek:

In 2007 I ran a large Marine fish tank and remember paying 6p per kWh. The increases in energy prices since then have been ridiculous.

Sounds like you have a pretty good deal before.

elec standard tariffs are 16-18. What frightens me is gas.

last year around feb/March I was paying 1.4ppkwh now that same variable tariff is 3. Luckily I fixed at 2.17 but come April I’m going to get a shock.

We run an air source heat pump and the increasing tariffs are getting scary for us.

I’d hope that 17p is worst tariff for me, and have yet to pay over 13p/kWh since being in my current house (now. early 15 years here). Annual consumption is around 15,000kWh with a new EV to add on top of this!

Have a look on uswitch (and change the option to show tariffs you can't switch to via uswitch).

It will be different for everyone, the best deal I found was with Pure Planet | Renewable energy supplier, its app only with no way to phone them though so it won't be for everyone.

Have a look on uswitch (and change the option to show tariffs you can't switch to via uswitch).

It will be different for everyone, the best deal I found was with Pure Planet | Renewable energy supplier, its app only with no way to phone them though so it won't be for everyone.

Have found via various comparison sites that PP appear to have one of the cheapest dual fuel tariffs available to me, BUT the non-phone situation has me concerned, were there to be any problems. So I'm keen to know how you have found them - all good I hope with no problems or concerns (e.g. red flags such as delayed billing, classic "temporary system/IT problem" BS excuses, etc)?
- cheers, TIA 🙏

As a general comment, it's shocking how much prices have risen - based on my usage, even the cheapest fixed rate dual fuel tariffs looks like costing £150ish more for the year than the E.ON one I'm on, which ends in early August.

Last edited:
I was with Pure Planet for a while, and my only issue was the lack of contact via conventional means - everything was done via offline messaging via the app, so it always took several days just to have a simple conversation about an issue as you had to post your message, wait a day or two for a reply, then send you response, wait again etc. When things are going smoothly it’s not a problem, so you just have to be prepared to be patient if you have an issue.

Okay thanks. Think I'll be switching (back) to OVO (100% renewable electricity and a tree planted in your name every year) - just a few quid difference and excellent service from the two or three times I've already been with them, and I think they'll be able read my currently dumb smart meter again. Will pick up £44 cashback via TopCashback Compare Energy.

Last edited:
Right now both SSE (part of OVO) and ScottishPower have huge cashback deals with both Quidco and TopCashback. The cashback amounts vary between £210ish and £300ish on 1 and 2 year fixed rate dual fuel tariffs (with NO exit fees - so switch as soon as cashback has paid out). With that cashback, the annual cost should only be slightly higher than a decent tariff you might have been on for the last year (or at least for me it is), rather than quite significantly higher, with the shocking hikes at present - though it could potentially work out even cheaper and lower than before if you switch to another good deal as soon as the cashback is paid (looks like around 6 - 8 months).

EDIT ... looks like SSE have now lowered their cashback below £200

Did you go OVO in the end?
No am on a 2 year fix with SSE (part of OVO), with no exit fees. Tariff is pricey but the massive cashback (at the time) with Quidco makes it the cheapest, and when that pays out early next year, I'll be switching to another deal.

massive cashback
Sadly the best cashback deals are only for dual fuel & are massively reduced for us electricity only users. The current SSE offering is £120 for dual but a pitiful £16 for single.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom