Cheapest TV to watch HD on ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RecordablDVDfan, Feb 21, 2005.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    What's the cheapest way of watching HD at the moment, is there a HD compatable LCD TV for under say £500 ?

2. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plenty of smaller LCD's that'll do 720p - watch for HDCP compatibility issues though. (Not really looked into this myself).

There are cheaper CRT and new technology sets on the horizon - end of the year - but you're probably looking at nearer a grand - believe these will be 1080.

A PC monitor could be your cheapest option - what source material are you using?

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +919
    Yep - a PC monitor is fine if you are receiving / replaying the HD on a PC. However if you are aiming to connect a monitor directly to an HD source - such as a D-VHS player, HDTV set top box etc. then you'd probably better make sure you have a 16:9 monitor.

Whilst a 4:3 PC monitor may have suitable resolution - I don't think that many HD sources will letterbox 16:9 HD (which HD universally is AIUI) to 4:3 HD letterboxed. You'd end up with tall thin people if you just connected an HD source to a 4:3 PC monitor?

It is fine using a PC - as that can do the letterboxing for you.

4:3 HDTVs sold in the states letterbox themselves - PC monitors won't?

4. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've got a Skystar 2 card and a 15" TFT monitor with a 85cm dish. I'm just about to upgrade to a 3.06ghz HT cpu with 1GB of RAM btw is this 100% ok for Euro1080 etc ?

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    ...and ensure it can accept an HDCP-encrypted signal. :) What a shame Dell's lovely new 2405FPW doesn't ... :(

Steve

6. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I think its the DVI equipped Samsung 730MW. The review (link to it from this site) claims that it is HDCP enabled. In theory it should work with both upscaling projectors, Sky HD & possibly D-VHS Players as it also has component ?

I may get one soon for the bedroom & so will test it with my DVHS Player & upscaling Denon DVD Player, will report back soon.

:thumbsup:

7. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've seen the 730MW and the socket on the back definitely says "DVI (HDCP)", ditto the downloadable manual. Problem is I can't find a list of modes it supports (apart from the PC modes) so I'd look forward to your report :)

8. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

The Skystar2 has no Cam slot so you would not be able to view the encrypted Euro1080 programs on HD1 between 16.00 and midnight CET. You would be able to view the HD1 demo material outside of these times.
    The PC spec looks ok and would require a reasonable graphics card (Radeon 9200 or better). The 85cm dish is fine and needs to point to 19.2 East, at this location there is also the HD Forum test loop at the moment which is not encrypted.

Jim.