1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest Soundcard with DD/DTS passthrough on SPDIF?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by SimonInd, Dec 23, 2003.

1. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could someone give me some advice on which cheap soundcard I should buy to get my HTPC up and running? In the future I may consider a RME card for ultimate 2 channel fidelity, however for the time being I'd like something cheap and cheerful to feed a digital signal to my Denon AVC-A1D and let it handle the D/A process.

The threads I've read knock the Soundblaster cards for resampling the digital bitstream so which cheapy should I get?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you haven't bought the Mobo yet then onboard SP/Dif is available on many cards and is probably as good as most Cheapy cards.

I recently went from Mobo sound to an Audigy 2 ZX I ripped from another machine and there was neglible difference. I'm wondering now whether an RME Hammerfall would make THAT much difference for the extra £300 or so.

Mark.

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got the board already unfortunately, bought the PC from the DELL outlet.

It sounds like the RME would be good if you use the analogue outs for CD replay, I'd be getting the DIGI96/8 PAD which is nearer £200. However I need to get things like remote control and PVR functionality sorted out before I worry about the CD playing performance, hence the desire for a cheap card.

Cheers

Simon

4. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    How about the Trust 514DX? I've bought one recently, and it works fine.

It will pass DD and DTS through the digital connector (optical or coax), but CDs and the like will only be sent in stereo. I haven't tried mine with ananlogue connections as I don't have the relevant cables to test it.

For £30 you can't go too far wrong. It even includes an optical cable :)

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/Productview.htm?quicklinx=2FKH

It does require the use of two back plates to use the digial connections though.

5. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the recomendation Bursar, I've had a look at the Trust and I think I'm actually going to go for the cheaper 511 which just has a coaxial digital out and only uses up one slot.

Cheers

Simon