Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

cheapest sound card with optical/coax out for DD?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mince bigalow, Oct 22, 2003.

1. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, I cant seem to get the optical output on my Videologic SonicVortex2 working in XP (driver issue i think) and I desperatley want to get DD working. What is the cheapest sound card that will allow me to output dolby digital to my amp via either optical or coaxial SP/DIF? Will spending more on a card actually increase the sound quality seeing as its just sending the digital signal to my amp and not decoding or anything?

2. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    me too !!

All I can get from my HCPC's sound card optical audio out is PCM audio (I think) at either 44 or 48 kHz

If I select the SPDIF output in either WinDVD or Theatertek I get nothing... then I have to change back and restart the player software to get anything.
    Card is Terratec Aureon 5.1 fun with optical I + O

does a card need to specifically state that it is DD / DTS compatible for it to be able to pass the stream through to an external procesor ?
    I would have expected to pass any type of stream through to the output
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97953

Steve

3. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate, i think just a pass thorugh is fine and my card didnt say DD on it and used to work fine on win98, it just doesnt have drivers for XP