1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheapest Sony VPL-HS10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peve3, Jul 20, 2003.

1. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So which are you getting m8 cause 15 minutes ago in the other thread you said you are just about to get the AE100???? :rolleyes:

3. rahulkohli

rahulkohli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have only seen it for at the very cheapest at 1999. from 2 places. so your price looks good.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nexnix do it for £1700+ vat...£1997 all in.

Well advised to buy it there as their customer service is 2nd to none.

Or maybe you're going to get an AE300?

:rotfl:

5. Jack

Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends how skint you are.... by my calculation you could buy the HS10 from Price Japan @ £1410, pay for PJ's zero dead pixel DHL return service @ £56 (http://www.pricejapan.com/ourpolicy.htm), expect to pay VAT @ £256, bring you to a grand total of £1722, assuming you don't get stuck for duty, which you shouldn't...
    I'm not sure how Sony's warranty works, but I've just ordered an Epson from PJ and Epson UK assure me that it will be covered by their 2yr international warranty - no need to return it to Japan
    I know that it is more risk, more hassle but... nearly £300 - buy you a good(ish) screen and cables
    hope this helps

7. rumnblack

rumnblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to a change of plans I have a HS10 that I would let go for £1500 if you are interested. It's about 6 months old and done approx 50 hours (will check when I get home). Also included would be a 180x180cm manual screen. Never gone wrong. Stunning picture.

Also includes PSS610 ceiling mount (cost £200).

Genuine reason for sad sale.

8. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Due to a change of plans I have a HS10 that I would let go for £1500 if you are interested. It's about 6 months old and done approx 50 hours (will check when I get home). Also included would be a 180x180cm manual screen. Never gone wrong. Stunning picture.

Thx for the offer mate but my old man owns a company and i will be buying my Pj through the company this is so i will not have to pay VAT :D

might buy it tho if it was a tad cheaper i might be able to get cash for your PJ and that screen might tip the scale in your favour

9. rahulkohli

rahulkohli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I wouldn't touch TTronics with a barge pole. Do a search on google news for their name to see why!

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    I dont think you'll find an HS10 over here for anywhere near £1500 even without VAT. It's a good offer actually, I paid £2300 for mine and have not regretted a single penny :)

12. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You can get the hs10 for£2450 from komplett.co.uk,which is a legit uk model!!

EDIT:sorry folks,i actualy thought the komplett price was cheap:confused:
    I bought one from nexnix cheaper in january:confused:
    Please disregard the crap at the top^^
    As you can tell,not with it at the moment(my TW100 has been f@@@ed by epsons engineers and im having withdrawl syptoms)

13. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought a new, unused, factory-refurbished unit (so still full 12 month warranty) for £1420 delivered...

it was their last one though, so no point telling you where...

14. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Please tell me how it is possible to buy a 'unused/new' hs10 when it has already been refurbished????Dont think so!!
    But if youve bought a refurbished model,it is still a good price with 12 months warranty.Just wondering why you feel you say theres 'no point' telling where you bought ?
    Hardly any POINT posting then was there biggygiant

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    ebury

The 'normal' price of the HS10 in the UK is sub £2000. Check out places like Digital Direct, NexNix and AV-Sales.

What makes you say £2450 is the best price or do you mean €2450 (Euros)?

16. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ebury : main reason I posted was to prove that there were cheaper ways of getting an HS10 that shelling out £2450 for one...

and I was taking the **** - wanted to see how long it would take you to react :p I got it through Robert Whyte - give them a bell, they said they might get more of these in soon : http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/shop2/vidpro/sony_vplhs10_Graded.htm

new/unused and factory refurbished means exactly that - it failed the first quality check at the factory, then went to be sorted till it did pass - but may still have cosmetic blemishes (but no functional ones). Hence price as used, but brand new...

Can't wait till wednesday!!! :)

17. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

18. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nae worries ebury... the old sarcasm doesn't quite come through in text every time... :suicide:

they promised me they would take it out of the box and check it thouroughly - so hopefully no dead pixels - but we'll see when it gets here...

still can't wait till wednesday! :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  21. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finally got the HS10 all set up this weekend (watch out for my screen building thread with piccies soon), and all I have to say is OMG...

Just plugging in the Skybox over composite video blew me away - and then I plugged in the DVD through the included component cable, and just watched and watched and watched...

(for reference to others, I currently have the projector set up on a side table, so am using both vertical and horizontal keystone correction - the image is a little softer, but still just amazing)

Im also glad to report that Robert Whyte were true to their word, and the projector was faultless (no dead pixels I can see anyway!) excepting one minor cosmetic scratch on the underside of the projector, and 22 hours on the lamp. So I think that it was the bargain of the week!

And if Im this happy now, just wait till I ceiling mount it (ie do away with all the keystone correction), and then build my htpc and go for 1:1 resolution...

I'm a happy happy man!

22. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I called MKA - they said they had a couple of HS10s that they got from Sony when they came out, but they wanted to get rid of them as they had never used them and had nowhere to run them.

I thought that sounded a bit odd, but they said I could return it if I wasn't happy (e.g. dead pixels), so I went ahead and ordered one. The price was £1,550 plus £30 to pay by Visa. By the way I checked with my bank and they said you have absolutely no protection if you pay by switch.

Anyway, when it turned up the box was pretty tatty, so I suspected the worst. When I opened it, I noticed that the projector had obviously been taken out, because it had been put back the wrong way round.

Anyway, the HS10 itself looked perfect and when I fired it up... no dead pixels, and it seemed much quieter than the last one I had.

It had about 14hrs on the timer, and it's quite a low serial number - in the 13000s).

Anyway, I'm very happy with it. they said that was the last one they had, though.

23. mpeg10

mpeg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    so how much does it cost to register a company? :)

24. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  25. mpeg10

mpeg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    so i can get the pj vat free :)

26. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Registering a company won't help you get your VAT back.

You would need to become VAT registered with Customs and Excise (which you can do as an individual - no need to set up a company...)

But it still wouldn't help because the only way you can claim your VAT back is by offsetting it against the VAT you owe C&E. And the only way you can owe VAT to C&E is if you are running a business!

Steve

27. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Steve, that's not quite correct. You can make net reclaims of VAT, but a business can only claim back VAT on business purchases.

If a company buys a projector for someone else to use, and that person pays the company for the net cost of the projector (i.e. the price without the VAT) then the company is breaking the law. That's because it's selling a projector and it should have charged VAT on it, and declared that VAT to HM Customs. It should also declare the input VAT it paid on the purchase, so there's no net reclaim or payment to HM C&E by the company, so there's no advantage for anyone in doing this, as far as i can see.

If you register for VAT as a sole trader, you would not be able to reclaim VAT on stuff you use at home. You could only reclaim it on business purchases. Of course, in some lines of business you might need a projector for business purposes, and you might also take it home, so that's a bit of a grey area, but if the Customs send an inspector round and find a PJ bolted to your living room ceiling, they might be a little suspicious.

28. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Ok - I confess I'm not an accountant but the gist of my post was the same as yours.

Unless you are a business, and you have bought the projector for business use, there is no valid excuse to claim the VAT back!

It's also pretty unlikely that C&E would entertain a net VAT reclaim for a single purchase as well!