1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest route to plasma heaven?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Sandman, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,248
    I have been wanting a plasma panel for some time now and since looking at all the nice pictures on the "get your plasma out for the lads" thread I am very close to getting my credit card out.
    My question is, what is the starting price to get on the plasma ladder? I have seen rs selling screens for about £2000 and heard of other online retailers selling screens for as little as £1850 (although I think this might have been for an ex demo). Is this all you would need to buy i.e. do you still need to splash out another £200 on a wall mount and another £100 on cables? I have a sky digi box and dd reciever and speaker set up sp wouldnt need a tuner box (I think).
    So my question is what is the least amount of money you can get a 42" plasma hanging on your wall for?

2. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, the best "cheap" plasma is either the Hitachi 400e or a 5 Series Panasonic, both at £2,500. You can get LG and Samsung plasmas at a cheaper price, but the gulf in quality is amazing.

On top of this, you'll need a wall-mount (£150-£200), and a RGB to YUV or VGA converter (£145 from www.jstechnology.com). Factor in another £200 for cables and you're looking at about £3,000 I would imagine.

The one thing I will say is that you can't really get into plasma ownership thinking of the "cheapest" way in as you will compromise picture quality massively. So much so that a RPTV or even a decent CRT might be preferable.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0