Cheapest reciever to upscale to 1080p

Rip

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of the cheapest reciever to upscale all sources to 1080p is? fed up with playing the ps3 at 720p, was looking at the Onkyo TX-SR 606 but it only does 1080i....:thumbsdow

By upscaling to 1080p will not make the picture any better, you can not get a quart out of a pint pot. What are you expecting to gain? The TV does any other upscaling anyway otherwise your picture will be end up in the centre of the screen

Am I missing something obvious here, but doesn't the PS3 output at 1080P anway (assumming using HDMI)?

Most games are rendered at a lower resoultion and upscaled to this level.

Chris

Just fed up with the ps3 & games at 720p, you can really see the diffrence with the xbox 360 games at 1080p, just looks smoother & less jaggies, so im looking to see which is the cheapest amp that will upscale to 1080p, thx.

The Ps3 will output 1080p for movies etc, but not games, it depends what it says on the back of the box, & most of them say 720p. . . :(

Upscaling will NOT smooth out "jaggies". Your TV is already doing the upscaling so all you will be doing is shifting the upscaling to a AV amp and often they are not that good at the job.

Andy, i dont think you understand what im saying, although i have a 1080p tv, what the ps3 is outputting & showing on the tv is only 720p, so im just looking to scale it up to 1080p.

Andy, i dont think you understand what im saying, although i have a 1080p tv, what the ps3 is outputting & showing on the tv is only 720p, so im just looking to scale it up to 1080p.

Unless there is an option in the PS3 setup menu for this, the PS3 is outputting what there is on the game disc - The TV upscales it to its native resolution.

I very much doubt it. I think you've misunderstood what is going on. To explain 720p is a resolution of 1280x720 which your PS3 is outputing, 1080p is a resolution of 1900x1080. Your TV's native resolution is 1080p ie 1900x1080 your TV is upscaling the 720p signal to 1080p as that is your TVs NATIVE resolution.

Rip, i dont think you understand what im saying. You will gain NOTHING by going through a AV upscaling amp.
1. Picture will be no better.
2. The game will not suddenly become 1080p it will still be 720p.
3. Your TV is doing EXACTLY the same job a upscaling AV would do, therefore NO gain.

Also I don't see why you would discount 1080i its exactly the same resolution as 1080p. The main difference being that its interlaced which means that whereas a progressive signal would be outputing the picture in one frame an interlaced signal will take two frames to do it as its effectively doing half and half. Most people probably would'nt notice the difference anyway.

The guys are totally right here; your TV shows 720p input because that is the resolution it is getting. BUT the TV upscales it to it's native resolution when showing the picture (1080p). Having an amp doing this would only mean that the upscaling would be done earlier. I'm quite sure the cheapest amps upscaling-techs don't match a decent 1080p-sets own tech.

To answer your initial question, Denon 1909 is probably the cheapest amp to do this. But again, this shouldn't be the most important feature to look after...

The guys are totally right here; your TV shows 720p input because that is the resolution it is getting. BUT the TV upscales it to it's native resolution when showing the picture (1080p). Having an amp doing this would only mean that the upscaling would be done earlier. I'm quite sure the cheapest amps upscaling-techs don't match a decent 1080p-sets own tech.

To answer your initial question, Denon 1909 is probably the cheapest amp to do this. But again, this shouldn't be the most important feature to look after...
exactly right, i have just brought the sony str2400es and it upscales and i have spent the last 2 days trying all the various options for sound vision etc, i could not notice any differance on the ps3 or xbox in 720p 1080i or 1080p the pics were all just as good, and unless your xbox is hdmi the highest output is 1080i with componant, i am pushing all this through the pioneer507xd , with 1.3hdmi cables - 10.2 gig , the biggest bonus with the amp is the sound , true hd and dts master sound are just sublime, hope this may help a little ...steve

Hmm, when i press the button on my remote to show what screen rez is being shown for ps3 games its 720p not 1080p, so the tv is showing the rez the ps3 is outputting, its not upscaling it to 1080p at all, why would it??

Wonder what TV and button that is... For example mine; When I press button i (info) my Pana PZ81 shows the following while gaming PS3:

"HDMI2" - name of the input-source
"720p input" - the resolution of the input-signal
"Widescreen" - the format of the input-signal

As you see, these are all related to the input-signal. Mine doesn't even show the resolution of the screen, as it is constantly 1080p. It could be different on yours, but I highly doubt it.

exactly right, i have just brought the sony str2400es and it upscales and i have spent the last 2 days trying all the various options for sound vision etc, i could not notice any differance on the ps3 or xbox in 720p 1080i or 1080p the pics were all just as good, and unless your xbox is hdmi the highest output is 1080i with componant, i am pushing all this through the pioneer507xd , with 1.3hdmi cables - 10.2 gig , the biggest bonus with the amp is the sound , true hd and dts master sound are just sublime, hope this may help a little ...steve

Ok, not particularly relevent to this thread, but my understanding is that since the 2007 dashboard update the 360 supports 1080P over component, though of course your amp/TV (depending on how you connected it) would need to accept it.

Of more relevance, on my 32" Panasonic Viera LCD, the difference between 720P/1080i/1080P is pretty minimal, even if looking for it (whether on 360 or Virgin (OK, not 1080P on Virgin).

Chris

Its probably the same button, so if thats the case & the 720p my set is showing is refering to the input signal only, why is there all the fuss about upscaling dvd players recievers etc if the tv's doing it all already?

Chris, id imagine on a 32in tv the diference would be hard to see, but my set if 55" & the 720p from the ps3 on games just looks not as good as the 1080p from my xbox 360.

Im using HDMI for both 360 & ps3.

Last edited:
yea, I watch BD movies at 1080p & upscaled dvds at 1080p on the Ps3, its just that most games are only at 720p as it says on the back of the game case's.

I don't have a PS3, but 360 games (like Forza 2) on which the box states '480P/720P/1080i' are actually ouput at 1080P (assuming you have your console set to 1080P) - I thought the PS3 would do the same.

Chris

No it doesnt, thats the problem, most games on the PS3 are 720p, it says on the back of the case, thats why now whenever i can i allways get a game on the 360 rather than the PS3 because its 1080p & looks better.

Its probably the same button, so if thats the case & the 720p my set is showing is refering to the input signal only, why is there all the fuss about upscaling dvd players recievers etc if the tv's doing it all already?

Because some of the more expensive ones can perform better than a cheap or old TV-set. This mainly concerns players for video, AV-receivers are often more concentrated on audio. Obviously there are great upscaling AV-receivers, but they won't be found under the thread "Cheapest...".

I don't have a PS3, but 360 games (like Forza 2) on which the box states '480P/720P/1080i' are actually ouput at 1080P (assuming you have your console set to 1080P) - I thought the PS3 would do the same.

Chris

They are still only being upscaled.... The native res of all 360 games minus around 3 is only 720p or lower ( the back of the box is a lie ).

So again the 360 is no different.... its simply upscaling the games to whatever res you set...

As a good example.. take a game runs laggy... naturally on a pc by dropping the resolution framerate increases. On the 360 this is not the case... setting a lower resolution does not impact the framerate at all since it is rendered at the same resolution as always and scaled down or up depending on what you set it at.

*Virtually no 360 games or PS3 games are 1080p only PC games.*

No it doesnt, thats the problem, most games on the PS3 are 720p, it says on the back of the case, thats why now whenever i can i allways get a game on the 360 rather than the PS3 because its 1080p & looks better.

360 games are usually rendered at 720p and have 2x or 4x Multi sampling, PS3 games seem to struggle running at this resolution and are dropped to 640p without any antialiasing ( The Darkness/ GH3 / GTA4 to name a few ). So whilst not being 1080p, 360 games on the whole usually look better.

This is due to how difficult it is to program for the PS3.

As a result most lower resolution "HD Ready" sets ( particurly projectors which sometimes have a native res of 1280 x 720 ) will look better than the 1080p equivalent sets because no scaling is going on.

Last edited:
Hmm, when i press the button on my remote to show what screen rez is being shown for ps3 games its 720p not 1080p, so the tv is showing the rez the ps3 is outputting, its not upscaling it to 1080p at all, why would it??
That button is showing the resolution of the input signal only. Your screen has 1920x1800 pixels and if the picture fills the screen, then the screen is using every single one of them. Thus your TV is upscaling the 720p signal to fit the 1920x1080 native resolution of it's panel.

You would therefore be paying for an amplifier to do the same job your TV is already doing which is pointless.

If you are seeing an improvement between the 1080p output of the Xbox and the 720p of the PS3 game, that is simply because the Xbox game is using twice the resolution and therefore has double the detail. Upscaling does not add in all of those extra pixels of detail, it simply spreads the existing detail out to fit the bigger resolution.

If you want to see the PS3 at it's best, download Wipeout HD; 1080p/60Hz. Awesome.

Russell

They are still only being upscaled.... The native res of all 360 games minus around 3 is only 720p or lower ( the back of the box is a lie ).

Thank you for that, I was under the impression that was exactly what I said at the beginning of the thread (post 3 - "Most games are rendered at a lower resoultion and upscaled to this level [1080P]" to save you the trouble of looking it up).

The point being made, if you follow the thread down, was the Xbox 360 can output (i.e. upscale) all games to 1080P (even though not a supported resolution on the packaging), and that I was surprised the PS3 was not capable of this.

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom