1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest Projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tonydsam, May 25, 2005.

1. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you guys give me some advice, I am looking to get a home projector purely for playing DVD's. I only want the screensize to be about 1.5m x 1m or thereabouts as this will be going in my lounge. I will hopefully be using a pull down screen. I have read a few things on other sites and I have come up with what I believe I need.

Lumens 1400-2000
    High contrast
    DLP preferred
    XGA preferred
    2000+ Bulb life

Does this sound about right, do I really need XGA? I am looking at the very cheapest end of the market as I only want to spend aroun £600 including VAT.

I have found a couple projectors that I believe fit tthe bill but I will happily take your advice if you tell me they are terrible. The projectors are as follows:

Acer PD113 Multimedia Projector £505 SVGA
    Mitsubishi SL4SU ColorView Multimedia £660 XGA
    Hewlett Packard VP6111 Multimedia Projector £560 XGA

Thanks a lot.

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Also BenQ PB6200

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi Tony,

on a screen of that size, brightness might be very high, so even a 1000 lumen projector will be more than bright enough. If you're after cinema levels of brightness, you'll have to add a neutral density filter to dim it down (ND4 or ND8). If you want tv or plasma like brightness, then you'll be fine. :)

If you don't have complete light control then the extra brightness will help combat any ambient light that may come into the room. A grey screen might be a viable alternative to a white screen to improve black level (and help with ambient light if there is going to be any).

Try to demo if possible of course. :)

Gary.

4. tonydsam

tonydsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So 1000 lumens should be enough for what I need? Plasma screen brightness would be fine. Getting a demo is going to be very hard as I dont seem able to find anywhere that sells projectors locally. The only place I found starts prices at £2500. I will look at the BenQ PB6200 as suggested by Cyberheater as well. What contrast should be enough for this size? Do I need XGA? Any good places to buy all of these?

Thanks Everyone.

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Sorry. Meant PB6100. It was a typo error on my part.

6. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    I stand to be corrected but the SL4SU and the VP6111 I believe are SVGA, not XGA.

If you don't mind it being SVGA and you want DLP, then you could look at the Optoma EP738. It's not a home cinema projector but I think it's about £600 and you can turn the brightness (1800 lumens) down to make the lamp last longer. And it's got a good warranty.

Or if you don't mind it being LCD there is the Epson TW10 which is widescreen.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi Tony,

For the size screen you will be using (1.5m wide), a 1000 lumens will be enough. Typically that will be around 600 true lumens, and to calculate for reflectance, you divide the screen area (in sqr ft) into the lumens. For cinema levels, you want to get numbers between 12 and 16, and for tv, I think it's something like 35 to 40. Plasma is around 65 IIRC.

A 5ft wide screen has an area of 14sqr ft, so you will end up with around 42ft lamberts, assuming the screen has a gain of unity (a blackout blind will be something like that, as will a clean matt white wall).

Brightness isn't necessarily a good thing with a projector, as it can enhenace any deficiencies within the image such as mpg blocking and hot whites if the pj is a data pj. It will also elevate the black level into light grey, so that might be a consideration if black level is important to you.

Using an ND filter to dim the image down will work, and you can always take it off again if you want to watch with some ambient light, or when the lamp ages and dims (you get back the lost brightness).

Gary.