Cheapest price for iRiver iHP-140

T

trotter

Hi,

Has anyone seen the iRiver iHP-140 in the UK cheaper than

£379 all at Amazon, Millerpc & AdvancedMP3 players?

Cheers

:smoke:

The iHP-140 has only just (last month?) been released so I would not expect to see it reduced by too much. I think the list price is around the £400 mark, so £379 on a new model is not that bad.
I've just got the previous model (iHP-120) that is exactly the same but with a smaller 20Gb HDD for £244.99 from Amazon. This will hold around 6000 tracks, and I did not see the point of paying over £100 more when I don't have that many tracks anyway. The HDD is replaceable so might be cheaper to do that anyway.

Mark.

Thanks Mark.

I'm trying to get all my 400 or so cds onto the beast at hi-res as I'll be spending a lot of time away from home so I'll definitely be going for the 40gb.

It's on offer at 499 euros at the german amazon which works out at about £335 although they're on back order.

I am right in thinking I won't get stung by customs because it's being bought from within the EU right?

I wouldn't like to bet my next pay cheque on it, but yes AFAIK you can spend what you want within the EU and not get caught for import duty or UK VAT.

Mark.

Originally posted by trotter
Thanks Mark.

I'm trying to get all my 400 or so cds onto the beast at hi-res as I'll be spending a lot of time away from home so I'll definitely be going for the 40gb.

Try VBR (Variable Bit Rate) MP3 setting at max quality, it will give you a great sound but will not use up to much space un-necessarily. (Only used high bit rates where necessary) I have about 2000 tracks in this format they take up about 14Gig.

I have the iHp-120 and all my tracks are encoded in ogg (quality 5). I found this to sound superior to VBR MP3 and the files take up even less space.

I've treated myself to .ogg quality 7

Amazon in Germany don't seem to want to ship to me in the UK, as don't the USA Amazon. Bastards.

Plan B?

Originally posted by pwiles
Try VBR (Variable Bit Rate) MP3 setting at max quality, it will give you a great sound but will not use up to much space un-necessarily. (Only used high bit rates where necessary) I have about 2000 tracks in this format they take up about 14Gig.
I've not connected my iHP-120 up to a HiFi as yet, but I also use VBR and so far have been very impressed with the quality. Perhaps a HiFi will show up the loss a bit more, but then I will mainly use the player at work on a set of PC speakers or headphones on the train.
I've got about 600 tracks on it so far and have only used about 4.5Gb of disk space. This should therefore give me somewhere in the region of 2500 tracks before I fill the disk.

Mark.

Originally posted by MarkE19
Perhaps a HiFi will show up the loss a bit more

There is no loss with VBR some of my MP3 register as having 400kbps? when necessary the bit rate is very high, when it is not necessary the rate is dropped (Quiet passages), this may save space if it is possible, but some MP3's are actually quite large.

If you connect to a Hi-fi make sure you use an optical connection if possible. The sound quality will amaze you.

Yes I agree about the VBR saveing space & keeping the quality high, but MP3 is a compressed format so there will be some loss of quality.

Mark.

Originally posted by MarkE19
Yes I agree about the VBR saveing space & keeping the quality high, but MP3 is a compressed format so there will be some loss of quality.

Mark.

Agreed but it is nominal at this rate, I have done some back to back assessments with my Yamaha CD changer and original CD v Creative Labs Jukebox, I did notice a slight loss of ambiance in the recording, CD sounded Fuller (this may be a hardware issue Separate CD versus Portable Player), but there were no specific tonal differences that I could pick up.

What's the best price now, does anybody know? I do have a few friends in America so maybe I could get one there?

I got mine for £275 inc delivery from advancedmp3players.co.uk.
Looks like they're out of stock today though.

MarkE19 said:
..........The HDD is replaceable so might be cheaper to do that anyway.

Mark.

Mark,
What type/size (2.5" for example) does the 120 take?

Regards
John

I'm not actually sure. I just know that the HDD can be replaced as it say so on the box! But I can't remember seeing any details on the HDD in the manual.

Mark.

I really fancy the 20gig version of this and am off to the states in a couple of weeks. Based on the exchange rate I reckon I can get one for about £150 but does anyone know if I will be able to use it over here OK. I have never bought anything electrical from america before (and am a bit thick) - will I need some kind of mains adapter to use it when I get back home?

Can anyone think of any other problems that might affect me getting one over there as opposed to over here??

Thanks in advance for any advice, etc.
Danny

This is a common question with people looking to buy a camcorder. The answers are the same for any electrical equipment, so here is the way I see it:

You will need to get another power supply (or voltage converter) as the American one will run on 110v and we are on 240v.
If it breaks down it is an expensive return to the USA to get it repaired as no UK supplier is likely to honour a US warrenty.
If customs catch you it will cost you for import duty and VAT. This may not be likely, but could happen. If sending away for repair then the chances are you will get caught for tax on its return to you. This tax can be charged at any time in the future, not just when its new.

Other than the power supply I doubt there are any differences between a US & UK version. If you are happy to take your chances with the above and can save a few £'s then why not give it a go.

Mark.

I would like to get an iriver and power it from my motorcycle. I understand that the dc in is only 5v though. Is it a standard socket?

Yep! just one of the standard type of sockets that you could use any generic 12v>5v power supply with.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom