1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest price for Denon AVC A1SR?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by godzilla, Jan 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Discount tv have stopped listing it at all (used to be £2199), is there anywhere else at a similar or better price?

2. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have you phoned them ? I think you will find they still do the A1SR

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ....stopped selling them or just stopped listing them ?
    There are threads in other forums that refer to buying there, even recently.

4. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get one from there it will be a German inport with 2mm speaker plugs , not 4mm banana plugs.

5. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No

I bought mine form them and it is full UK spec and yes I have no problems using banana plugs.

If your concerned just ask them. They have always been extremely helpfull.

Phil

6. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'll give Ben a call on Monday. I guess nowhere else sells any cheaper, let's hope they still stock them!

7. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had two sent to me recently , both German spec , phoned up Haydon Labs who said they are not a THX licenced dealer and Haydon only supply to licenced dealers.

8. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is absolute rubbish as on my A1SR box was a delivery sticker from Hayden labs to jowlett radio who own discount tv. I have even spoken to the Denon rep who looks after Discount TV

So it would seem that Denon are more than happy to sell units but when asked about it will give the party line about athorsied dealers.

Business is the same the world over they will not give up sales. Denon can indeed have their cake and eat it.

9. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My a1sr box from discount tv also had a from Hayden labs sticker on it. Discount tv is a great place to buy the a1sr from, esp for £2100.

10. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Guys,
    Just to say absolutely 100% of our stock is UK from Hayden labs, we are authorised dealers and we have a very good relationship with Denon. We don't publish prices because it upsets people, and thanks to our loyal customers we get a lot of reccomendations by word of mouth (thanks guys!). We should be in possesion of the new firmware for the A1 DVD D-link 2 early this week, so thanks for your patience all those people waiting with R2 Players, although nice to look at the A1 is far better in use!

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Do a google search,or have a look at ukpricerunner.com....both should dig up useful prices for you.....only ones I've seen recently have been a bit more expensive though.

12. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  13. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Finally bit the bullet and ordered an A1SR together with a DVD-A1 from Discount TV on Monday afternoon and was impressed when they arrived first thing on Tuesday morning.
    First things first. Not only did both boxes have Hayden Lab delivery stickers on them proving they came via Denon UK, but as mentioned in the link in my previous post, the suspected "German" binding posts were in fact normal banana plug sockets with stubborn, but removable, plastic plugs, so banana plugs are no prob, most likely a recent pan-European safety feature.
    I had actually only done a back to back demo on Saturday expecting there to be virtually no difference between the TAG AV32R and the A1SR, but to my annoyance and disappointment, the TAG did sound noticeably more open and clearer when partnered with the TAG power amp.
    BUT it still lacks loads of features especially THX Ultra 2 and needs better speakers than I am currently prepared to upgrade to (I currently have B&W CDM7 SEs, CDMC SE, DS6 dipoles, 601 S3s for surround centres and Velo CHT15) as well as costing £6k as opposed to £2300 for the A1SR.
    Now I have the A1SR pretty much set-up in my home, I must say the sound is FANTASTIC!
    Vey wide and clear soundfield, more and better controlled bass compared to my previous Denon A1-D, superlative DVD-Video sound through the Denon Link SE, but I am waiting for my first DVD-As to arrive from Play so I cannot verify yet that SE allows DVD-A digital throughput.

The main reason I opted for the Denon was the video switching options, something I am aware the purists disdain.
    I have 2 questions for anyone still reading:

I currently use a lead with scart on the dvd player end (RGB) and 6 seperate "phono" plugs on the amp side that connect to the 3 component DVD inputs, the composite video socket for sync duty I presume and 2 audio inputs (not needed I suppose). This lead was created to allow my old Pioneer 717 to connect to the A1-D and then to the SIM2 HT300 via 3 component leads+1 composite sync lead.
    I could only previously view DVD (and TV, games etc) through the RGB input of the Sim2, but now the DVD image appears on the component input and is totally green on the RGB input!
    Switching the amp to "TV" the signal form my NTL digibox flickers between perfect colour and green with a confused ticking/switching noise coming from the amp! The picture on component input just flickers unintelligibly.
    Any ideas what is causing this problem?

Secondly, am I getting a genuine Component picture from the dvd player or is the amp upgrading the RGB-scart-originated signal to component? Could I get a better picture buying proper component cables and connecting the player to the amp that way? Do I need 4 component leads or 3 beearing in mind the amp is currently connected to the Sim 2 via 4?

Thanks for any advice and patience for reading this long post!

14. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have connected my DVD A1 using a high quality component from the component out to the component in on A1SR. When used with good quality cables the picture on my 11HT is jaw dropping.

Can the HT300 tell what signal it is getting from the input ?

My 11HT reports 480P & 575P (If I remember correctly) for the NTSC and PAL progessive signals.

Glad to hear your pleased with the units, I think the DVD A1 is truly impressive and I have seen it projecting onto a 10 ft screen.

Phil

15. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Phil,
    Did you use 3 component leads or 4 (adding a sync lead to the composite video socket)? Where did you get the leads from and how much were they?
    I don't think the Sim2 shows the type of signal received, but the DVD A-1 displays "progressive scan" on both Pal and NTSC discs so the firmware appears to work. I just need to try a DVD-A now!

This clicking between green and colour on TV is annoying but I doubt it is the amp's fault, more likely the pins in the scart could be loose?

16. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No, I just connected the 3 component leads. As far as I am aware they don't need a sync lead. The composite output is a video signal with chromanence and luminace combined. Composite is also the lowest on the quality ladder

I have a QED Qunex Silver Reference component cable which cost me about £100 from my local Audio-T. Nicely made cable with good screening and connectors.

I have just received a copy of the Corrs Album in DVD-A which is very nice. However as my A1SR is not SE compatible yet I have to wait to try the Denon Link, thus at the moment its connected to the analog EXT 1 input, which is set up for analog input only.