Cheapest place to buy an Epson TW10

E

EmissarY

Hiya All, :hiya:

Has anyone managed to find one of these for less than £600. Cheapest I have found is £580 @ www.projectors.co.uk. Does anyone knwo where I can get it cheaper?

Also, would I 'NEED' a component lead to achieve the best possible picture, or would a good quality s-video suffice initially. I plan to plug a PS2 and US Gamecube up to this also, which at the moment I have going through a Denon 3802.

Thanx for any help,

EmissarY.

I bought mine from Technoworld & can highly recommend them!

My first unit had 1 dead pixel and they swapped it free of charge. My second one worked perfect! :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your help. Just out of curiousity, what am I not getting on this lcd projector that say something like a Sanyo Z2 would offer?

Basically you don't get as high a native resolution (TW010H is W-VGA 854 x 480 where as the Z2 is W-XGA oe 1280x720) and more expensive PJ's tend to have DVI and/or HDMI inputs where as the Epson doesn't have any digital vidio inputs.

Here's a link to the Epson at Technoworld.

And forgive me for asking. but the Epson does support progressive scan does it not?

It most certainly does :thumbsup: . I display 480p & 720p from my X-box through it and it looks great!

Ok excellent...half way there to buying. Now, I have a room that is approx 3.3m long. My plan is to have my projector mounted on a self made shelf on my back wall, which leaves approx 3m viewing distance between me and the front screen, so basically, what size screen do I need? I have been adv to get a 1:1 screen as this would enable me to project a 16:9 image. So is this best? And also I was quoted at £100 for this manual screen, now I know people paint there walls red or make a screen themselves, what is the best option, I certainly know that making one is cheaper, but I like the idea of a dedicated screen. Any ideas where to purchase a cheap but decent one from? Or is £100 for a 1:1 the goping rate?

Not that up on screens myself. Basically I just made my own. It's a wooden frame 6 ft wide with a 3ft 4.5in drop to give a 16:9 ratio which I covered in Blackout fabric. My PJ is around 3m back from the screen and I sit about 2.5m from the screen. This gives a great pic for me, with the screen door not that noticeable. To set it up correctly though you should sit at least 1.5 times the width of your screen away from the screen. Which means that I should be sat at least 9ft away (roughly 3m). 1.5 times is also regarded as an absolute minimum and the ideal is around 1.8 times. The ideal size for your screen would therefore be around 5 ft wide.

With 3 meters between projection lens and screen, the zoom range of the projector will give a picture width of between 189cm (74.4") and 291cm(114.5"). Stick to the smaller end of the scale to minimise the "screen door" effect. I have an 84" (homemade) screen and watch from about 4 meters back and screendoor is just visible if you look for it. Defocusing by a tiny amount makes it pretty much dissapear.

Definately get a 16:9 screen, a 4:3 screen is a waste of time if you have a native 16:9 projector.

MikeRJ said:
Definately get a 16:9 screen, a 4:3 screen is a waste of time if you have a native 16:9 projector.

Thats right. You don't want a 1 : 1.

Ideally you want black lines around the screen also, this improves the image giving clear definition.

With any other screen dimensions (other than 16:9) you won't be able to get the borders.

I have asked this earlier on the thread, but I am going to order one of these in the next couple of days, BUT before I do can anyone tell me if this supports BOTH PAL and NTSC progressive?

Cheers,

emissary

Given the low resolution of the Epson TW10, I am constantly amazed at just how good the picture from mine looks. For value for money you just cant beat it imo :smashin:

(I must add I was lucky with mine and got it from Simply computers a few months ago for £499 + delivery) :clap:

Used it initially with a good Svideo lead but have since gone to a sensibly priced ProfiGold 10m component lead (just over £30) and even my wife noticed the difference in PQ, (using the component lead is also the only way to enable the use of progressive scan).

My screen is a manual 16:9 black bordered Saphire purchased new from a company advertising on ebay, £100 all in including delivery and again this improved the picture quality over the prevuiously used wall / makeshift paper screen. As already mentoned the black borders are nice as they give a clean edge to the image.

Thanx for the reply FaB*Bo*Peep, but does it support PAL and NTSC progressive? The reason being is because I have 80% region 1 dvds...

EmissarY said:
Thanx for the reply FaB*Bo*Peep, but does it support PAL and NTSC progressive? The reason being is because I have 80% region 1 dvds...

Sorry not too sure about the above. Looking in the manual it says it supports:
SDTV(525p)
SDTV(625p)
HDTV(750p)

All I can say is that I have used a Pioneer 575 multi region player with progressive scan turned on and playing both PAL + NTSC disks the resulting images look very good to me but I am not sure if the projector is using the progressive scan signal to its full extent.

I also have the Epson TW-10H and it's a superb PJ for the money IMO. Mine was about £550 inc delivery and i've had it about 3 months or so.

It does do prog scan in both PAL & NTSC (however the OSD only ever shows the PAL figures i.e. 525p even if displaying a 480p NTSC image). I use it mainly for gaming & DVD watching. X-Box games in 480p look fantastic on it as that's it's native resolution. 720p games also look great (almost as good as on a 720p PJ!) so the scaler must be pretty good!

A Brilliant PJ that I would never hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for one around the £500 mark. I bought mine from Technoworld who are fantastic! My first one had a dead pixel (just 1!) and they took it back and replaced it for a perfect model. Not many retailers would take back a PJ for just 1 dead pixel.

It's easy to tell if the PJ is outputting Prog Scan through looking in the info part of the OSD. If it says for example -525i then you are either outputting PAL (or NTSC) interlace & if it says 525p then you are outputting PAL (or NTSC) progressive scan.

Just a quick update to this thread,

I am wondering if any of the forum members have managed to get a company to match another regarding the price of this projector. I have found this model for the great price of £548.99 @ dabs.com:

dabs.com

However, I tried getting projectors.co.uk to match this as part of their websites 'price promise' only to be told flat out, "No we can't match that...."

projectors.co.uk

Seems very poor for a site that seems quite good, considering also their price is a £681.50!!! Anyhoo, anyone point me in a cheaper direction, or is dabs.com a SAFE bet.....and I do stress the words 'safe' and 'customer services'

Cheers,

EmissarY.

P.S Just went to projectorscreen.co.uk and I was VERY impressed with their service and their prices, got a quote for a screen, TW-10 and ceiling mount of £709.70!!! Superb!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom