1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest place for Mission M5AS ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Roughneck1, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just wondering were the cheapest price on this little gem is to be located?

Thanks in advance for any help...

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
  3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    That "little gem" weighs 80 pounds! :eek:

Steve

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or 36 Kilos.

I found it for £380 at http://www.prcdirect.co.uk

Many a shop is charging more than that for the Rel Quake which this 'little gem' outperforms by miles.

Currently one of THE hi-fi bargains IMHO.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Yes, I considered one of these myself. Then I decided to go for an SVS. :smashin:

Steve

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I too REALLY wanted this sub.
    However, I fell into the SVS trap and got me a 25-31 PCi for not much more.
    I never really appreciated what it's like for good bass to physically move you until I went svs!!!!!!

Thanks Erik and the guys.

(Sorry, I've had a few Stella's and my keyboard's getting quite blurry now!!!!!!):zonked:

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have the M5AS... v.good IMHO... but I yield to the 25-31 PCI SVS of course...

But how much 'more' are they, and what is warranty like... is there an authorised repair centre in the UK, or do you have to ship back to the US???

Just interested in case I ever get 'bored' of the M5AS... although considering I am amazed by the M5... I think the SVS might be bordering on the OTT :)

Oh, I got the M5AS from www.thehifistore.co.uk for £350 in the sales...

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    All is revealed in the SVS thread here or else on the SVS website

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hyperfi have this sub (M5AS) advertised as ED for £199.

Of course what hyperfi advertise correlates in no way whatsoever as to what they've actually got for sale...

Still worth a try at that price however.

10. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I had a problem with my svs when it first arrived in the form of a damged driver, most likely in transit.
    After some expert guidance from Ron at svs they sent me out a new driver for me to replace myself.
    From now having hands on experience of working on and in the sub to find the original problem I had, with the right tools the pci is pretty user servicable.
    I had good tech support from the team with step by step instuctions, and if you run into problems you can guarantee a prompt email response.
    SVS paid for all postage costs for the new driver and the return of the faulty one.
    I think you would be pushed to find such excellent service from other manufacturers in this country.

In terms of the sub being ott, for me it's all about value for money, and my 25-31 is all that for the mere £500 that it cost me.
    You can alter the settings to your personal requirments and you have a sub which which is far superior to other smaller more expensive subs.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    And one that Hifi News is unlikely to say that "It is the weak part of the Mission M5 AV package due to the limitations in slam and speed" and that "Anyone thinking of buying the package would be better off buying a better subwoofer", but that, as they say, is another story.

12. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian J - SVS certainately looks like the appealing option - but it's a fair measure of money to spend compared with a £380 M5AS.

It's almost double the cost to import a PC+, I'm not sure if you've heard the M5AS, but i can't see the SVS amounting to double the performance of the M5AS - which IMHO, is very very good (just lacking in a bit of depth).

Of course I could quite easily be wrong as I'm currently not part of the SVS club & haven't heard the evidence for myself...

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That is true and it is also considerably taller so for those two reaons it isn't for everyone.

I haven't heard the Mission sub but as quoted above Hifi News didn't think much of it but just to open up the controversy even more I seem to recall that HCC liked it a lot.

14. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian J - indeed they did, it only lost out on depth (which I agree with - it is lacking a tad)...

And at the same time What Hi-Fi liked it a lot, how valid that conclusion is, however, is open for debate!

I'd like an SVS for my second setup (775e, 771e, 77C1, 77DS) but it'll cost more than I spent on the rest of the speakers combined...

Which doesn't seem too logical.

Again for what it's capable of the M5AS is still a bargain in my view and the only alternative I'm looking at is a Servo 15 from Richer Sounds for £499.

15. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ian-J - a polite request to lower your condescending tone a little... (especially being a moderator...)

I aksed earlier about the warranty situation with SVS Subs, and as I see in a lot of your posts, you are quick to reply with a completely unhelpful comment.... basically stating "go and read the SVS Importing " thread...
    Now just to point out the obvious
    1. An thread that is about "importing" a sub doeesn't immediately sound like it will be discussing the in's and out's of the "warranty"
    2. There is no 'real' reference to the warranty in that thread... in fact only yourself mentioning that its "return to base", which I already knew, and "There may be ways around this".. which is about as vague as it gets... I have already read this thread before posting here, and then re-read after your 'helpful' snide remark, only to find that it contained no 'real' information on the warranty......

Stellavision on the other hand gave me the information that I and many others need, the 'real' state of the warranty, i.e. SVS do indeed sympathise with the customers location, and offer to send parts over .. a good real world practical example...

As for the Mission..
    Well, its all about price isn't it...
    Street price for the mission seems to be £350 with the odd special offer on, like Superfi, as mentioned...
    And SVS is looking to be running at £500+ minimum then with import duty/shipping taken into account..
    A paradigm 15 is £500 from RS... Street price that is...

And thats the point I feel here...
    I've heard a SERVO15 (spectacular)
    I''ve heard the MJ PRo 50/CHT-10/15 and the REL Q100/150
    I've heard some good M&K installs (Pricey but excellent)
    and I've got the Mission M5 myself...

Now I don't doubt that the SVS is awesome, beyond all belief... and I think when I feel I need an upgrade, this is one direction I will be heading...

But I can at least say that in the £350 and under category the M5AS is a very good buy....

of course if you have the £150 more to spend on a sub, then you can start looking at the Servo15/SVS entry level... which will offer more performance etc... but
    1. Arguably the servo 15 is just an ugly box.. the SVS is a tall black cyclinder (if you choose this range). The mission is a real wood veneered sculptured piece of furniture.. and considering placement issues, if it has to be on 'show' then it may be important that it can blend in with your other 'furniture'
    2. Some people may not need the extra performance... considering what performance you get for £350... most people will be amazed...
    3. its £150 more.. if you take the £150 from the mission price, and then compare it to £200 subs... then it too appears awesome value for money...
    4. The SVS warranty is a bit of a grey area, for most consumers, sending it back is expensive, and only if you are technically minded/have contacts might you be able to reach a good compromise should the product fail...
    5. Even the mission can be too much for some people, and structures, I have had to spend time elminating resonance in my house ( A new building) which is time consuming and in some cases very hard to do.. the SVS is going to make this sort of thing harder, and possibly impossible, leaving you in the situation that you 'detune' it to the point that you may have well just spent less on the sub in the first place...

As for reviews... well What Hi-Fi loved the M5AS, as do HCC of course, HiFi news think it could do with more slam/depth.. and in their review scenario, no doubt this was true... but as we know, reviews are only indicators of performance, and in fact looking at such controversies as the Gallo Nucleus revierw in what HiFi, We know to take on board the comments and read between the lines..
    If HCC quote
    "Large and tastefully appointed, this Mission sub is a handsome item, fully intended to be seen and appreciated, rather than stuffed somewhere out of sight.

Retailing for the same price as the Magnet Omega 380, this is a far more refined item. Very much a weighty item, the front panel is 38mm thick, with 19mm carcass elsewhere. The pressure of air flowing around inside must be quite intense, and the cavity is damped with acoustic foam.

A subwoofer for grownups who also have the occassional childish urge, the m5as is certainly capable of delivering far more bass than most people would feel the need for.

Fed a good soundtrack via a single phono connection it can offer great cinematic impact, scale and true fear-register lows. Style and grace are just a bonus Mission has thrown in for free."

and What Hifi
    "This Mission is one of the most musical subwoofers we know, but it manages to achieve this without comprising the sheer grunt needed for movie soundtracks. It makes a great buy. If you have the space for it, and aren’t looking for an invisible bass unit, this Mission sub takes some beating"

it even taking the HiFi news review, it would appear that it 'indicates' a universally accepted good buy...

Just to wrap up...
    I whole heartedly agree that for £500+ the SVS is the one to get.. I will consider one myself when the time comes...
    But I am more then happy with the £350 Mission, and it has the performance level that is right at the moment... if I had more 'depth' I will have to look at structural improvements to the house to eliminate rattles...

And getting back to the original topic... HiFi confidential quoted me £315 when I was looking for mine, but I paid £350 from the Hifi Store, since I work in the same town!!

16. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demon - your comments about Ian J seem a little on the strong side.
    Moderators do have disclaimers for their signatures stating that their posts don't always represent the viewpoint on the A/V forums, and I'm sure Ian Js contributions were with the aim of helping the members confused on the subject of SVS warranties...

It's simple, if you don't appreciate his advice then ignore it, nobody's forcing you to run out & buy an SVS.

Apart from that your post was rather helpful, but it's a shame you had to employ a demeaning tone.

17. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Sorry, I seem to always see the worst in Ian's posts, perhaps this has just been bad luck..... this one just seemed the last straw, I come in to work on a Monday morning and I see yet another misguided 'unhelpful' reply from Ian... well, its good to blow off some steam every now and again.....

Perhaps you are also misreading my post..

I always listen to advice, I am not predjudiced, and of course I assess the validity of any advice I care to listen to... but I am not in the Market for a Sub at the moment, but If I was, the SVS would be the next logical upgrade for me, and I would take Ians advice on this, since I know when talking about the SVS performance, he is well educated on the subject matter.

The rest of the post was an attempt to put the Subs mentioned into some perspective.....

18. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well - I guess we'll await Ian's response to this...

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian hasn't got much experience with SVS subwoofers- he's only bought one SVS subwoofer (20hz PC Plus), nor played around with the port plugs/sub-sonic filter.

20. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Before anyone blows this out of all proportion..

My only gripe is with being told (condescendingly if you read between the lines) to go and read another thread, or view the manufacturers website, as to their warranty....

When
    1. the thread contained only one vague reference to the warranty, and that was by Ian....
    2. I'd already been to the SVS Website, and could see that they offered a 'return to base' warranty...

I actual fact, In the vein of the thread, and my own personal interest, I wanted to get some feedback on how the warranty was working out, as
    A. The SVS would be on my A-List if I ever felt the need to upgrade, so I wanted to know, and
    B. Its important that prospective buyers are fully aware to the state of the warranty that officially would mean sending the whole sub back to the states...

Clearly Stellavision gave a useful example of his own dealings with SVS, which was very positive towards SVS...

The rest of that post was just to put some perspective on the whole price/performance issue.....

Thank you, and good night!!!

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I like your sense of humour Demon :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.