1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest methods

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Astaroth, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The other half just won a mini-IPod and so eager to try it out I fired up the auld PC (which I havent used in months/years) and suddenly rediscovered the 4000 MP3 tracks I have stored on there.

The PC, whilst in the lounge doesnt have any speakers connected to it - back in my student days it was rigged up to my cheapo videologic home hifi system by a digital co-ax cable but that has now gone and the PC sits about 14m and diagonally opposite the new sound setup.

What would be the best/cheapest way of connecting this to my new amp to be able to play my MP3? The PC is auld and has a unorthodox motherboard (tyan tiger 133) and so I am reluctent to buy new hardware for it due to possible compatability issues. The PC has co-ax digital out (no optical), USB 2.0 and a 10/100 ethernet and will be connecting to my Denon AVR 2805.

I was considering the Airport Express thing from Apple but I dont have WiFi capabilities on the PC and whilst I can see the thing does have an ethernet slot it doesnt state if this can be used instead and I am sure there must be a cheaper non-wifi option out there. I fear that if I used a 15m+ coax cable that there would be significant signal degrading/interferance or it would be too expensive to buy a high grade cable of this length.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you're on a real budget, a piece of TV co-ax with the right plugs should work for S/PDIF over that sort of distance - certainly worth a try.

I recently bought a 10m digital lead from Farnell for about 6 quid + VAT ( http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=4258915&N=401 ) , although you have to spend £20+VAT to use a credit card. This works fine and although it doesn't 'firm up the bass', 'open out the treble' or 'dramatically improve the midband' it does sound pretty much the same as the 1m cable I was using before...

Cheers

Simon