Cheapest HDMI DVD player that outputs 480i/576i ?

BeelzebubUK

Established Member
Reaction score
It appears from my other thread that if I can get a DVD player which can output 480i/576i over HDMI to the DVI input on a Lumagen visionDVI then I can't go far wrong on picture quality.

So what options are there ?

I've already read that the Arcam DV29, DV79 and the Pioneer 868 can all do this but they are too rich for me.

Basically I don't want to pay any more than £450....preferably less. Do I have any options ??

Denon 1920

Eomer said:
Denon 1920

Are you sure about that ? Haven't read anything anywhere to indicate that it can do 480i/576i over HDMI. Would be great if it can as that was my original choice of DVD player :)

Denon says "480p or 576p / 720p / 1080i" scaled via HDMI....or can you bypass the scaler ?

sorry, got it wrong.
only 480p/576p

Apols if this has been suggested but is an option to get your existing player SDI modded?...PJ

PJTX100 said:
Apols if this has been suggested but is an option to get your existing player SDI modded?...PJ

Hasn't been suggested but I don't have an existing player right now (using Xbox/PS2). Moving house so have already sold my main TV, DVD player ready for a new system for the new house :)

But having SDI would cost more than one of the DVD players already mentioned.

£325 for the SDI mod
£200 for the Lumagen to have SDI module
And the players that can be modded aren't cheap either :)

BeelzebubUK said:
Hasn't been suggested but I don't have an existing player right now

Ah, I misread, you said Arcam CD player not DVD player...

gandley said:
Pioneer 868i
arcam dv79
pioneer 989

I am getting the 989 for this very purpose

All too expensive for me.

How about the oppo or the momitsu (or however it is spelt).

I do not think many HDMI players pass Interlaced via HDMI more so the cheaper units.

Think I might just go for my original choice which was a Denon 1920 unless I can come up with a cheaper player that will do 480i/576i over HDMI which is looking unlikely to be anything cheaper than about £600 :(

I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it after what I've been used to. It has everything else I need and is a good price.

Why do you require an HDMI player to output 480i/576i, you could do a lot worse than getting a decent component player that will do this for cheaper money. The Pio 575 can do what you want for £100.

neilmcl said:
Why do you require an HDMI player to output 480i/576i, you could do a lot worse than getting a decent component player that will do this for cheaper money. The Pio 575 can do what you want for £100.

Its not a requirement - just a preference and wanted to be able to try out both HDMI and component from the same player. Also saves on component inputs on the scaler.....at the moment I'll have 2x DVI inputs on the scaler not being used.

Would be nice to have the option of both but at as the only players that can do it are £3-400 more than anything else its not worth it for me right now.

I think the Pioneer 575 will be on my short list.

seen 868 go for £400 secondhand.....

Nic Rhodes said:
seen 868 go for £400 secondhand.....

Don't worry - I will be keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand one. Have put a Wanted thread up just in case :)

Managed to get hold of an ex-demo 868 yesterday at the Av show in Glasgow for £515. The picture quality through Scart RGB alone is stunning. Can't wait to get a Pio 436 to see the HDMI.

If you can get the 868 then certainly go for it.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom