1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest HD-Ready PJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tejstar, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I know this may not necessarily mean it is the best pj for the price, but I’d like to know what are the top 3 (if there are that many!) cheapest pj’s that are officially HD Ready.

I’m looking for something that has a native resolution of 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio and DVI (HDCP) and/or HDMI connections.

Cheers! :)

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Off the top of my head I'd say the Hitachi PJTX 100, Sanyo Z2 and Pamnasonic AE500. Prices from Nexnix (just as an example) are Hitachi £1007.57, Sanyo Z2 £857.75. I can't readsily find a web price of an AE500, but an AE700, which is a considerable step up in performance over the 500 is £1299 from forum sponsors Discounttv. I think it's fair to say that the AE700 is a more recent model than the Hitachi or the Z2.

Sean G.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Cheers Sean!

I didn’t realise there were officially HD-Ready models selling for that cheap. What would be my best bet around the £2k mark?

4. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    For your budget, you can get the Panny AE700 £1299 (from Sponsors Discounttv) which so they say is a top pj, or you can stretch to the Sony HS50 £1599 (not sure on supplier, but they are on here somewhere) which has a 6000:1 contrast level and if you have a search through the threads for HS50 there is a chap who has one setup and has posted some stunning pics of the films he has seen on his hs50 and he is delighted with it, hope this helps

edit: Just found the chap, he is UrbanT a mod, screenshots can be seen here, http://www.f-directions.co.uk/screenshots.htm his site is http://www.f-directions.co.uk

:clap: :thumbsup:
    Taz

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wouldn't make a direct recommendation - I haven't seen enough of the current crop to stand over it. I would recommend that you check the prices listed by forum sponsors like discounttv, Nexnix etc. for projectors in your price range, and try to arrange to see them in action. It's your money, so it would be wise to see them yourself before buying.

If I were interested in an LCD pojector, I'd demo a Panasonic AE700 and a Sony HS50. I could be rong, but I think that 1280x720 DLP might be just outside a £2k budget, other than the Benq 8700+, which is £2190 from Ivojo, it may be available elsewhere at similar or lower prices, you'd need to check. By comparison, DLPs like the Mitsubishi HC2000 is £3207, the Sharp Z2000 is £2681, the Themescene H77 is £3395 (with a free mount, bulb and half price screen), Screenplay 7205 is £3495 (with a free mount and a half price screen). The prices quoted for the Themescene and Screenplay are from forum sponsors audiovisiononline, they do supply Benq projectors but I couldn''t readily see a price for the Benq 8700+ on their site. Audiovisiononline offer a free mount and a half rice screen with dlp projectors, so if they could supply a Benq 8700+, then presumably it would benefit from that offer.

The price difference between the Benq and the Themescene or the Screenplay is substantial, notwithstanding the extra offers available. £1300 in the difference is about a 60% increase in the price of either of these proejctors over the Benq. If I were looking to the top end of your budget, the Benq would defintely be on on my list to see.

You can find a review of the Benq 8700 by Steve Smallcombe Click Here , and another on Projectorcentral.com in comparison to other similar DLP projectors Click Here and a review of the Benq 8700+ on its own Click Here

Do some reading amongst the forum sponsors and their prices, don't forget to check the conditions of any warranty, and demo, demo, demo.

Sean G.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    That is extremely helpful guys - thanks for your input! :)