Cheapest/Best way to Insulate solid wall build

danmc_82

Suspended
My house has 10" solid walls. I want to insulate all the externall walls by using insulation on the inside of the wall.

I've been given quite a few boards for free, they have 2" insulation, silver foil then plasterboard.
I'm currently putting them up in my bedroom but thats it, I have no more. I want to know the cheapest/best way of doing it for the rest of the house.

So far I've thought of 2" polystyrene, using normal foil and plasterboard or

Using battens and squashing loft insulation between them (2") and screwing board over the top. (Cheapest way)

Which would work better or are there other options? I dont want to change the look of the outside of the house.

danmc_82

Suspended
Anyone?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
one thing you need to do is to make sure you have ventilation between the boards and the existing wall , something i fear you are going to find very difficult to achieve ....

danmc_82

Suspended
one thing you need to do is to make sure you have ventilation between the boards and the existing wall , something i fear you are going to find very difficult to achieve ....

What about sticking in a few air vents? The guy who gave me the board said that most people dob and dab it. The board I'm using is also used for dry lining.

saintie1

If you can afford it instead of the polystryrene go for kingspan or celotex. For the same thickness of board you will get far superior insulation.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
As a matter of interest, why start with the bedroom?

In order of importance (most important first), the rooms to insulate are:
  • Living Rooms
  • Bathrooms
  • Hallway & stairs
  • Bedrooms
  • Kitchen
You spend the vast majority of your time in the bedroom snugly under duvets, and you should sleep in a cool room anyway.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Maybe they current have the worst problem? We have a similar problem to the OP with solid walls that get very cold. However the bedrooms get it worst - mostly because they have the most external wall exposure - three sides partly for the main bedroom, where the living rooms have hardly any due to the nature of the semi-detached-ness.

We have build-in wardrobes - some on the external wall. When I open it in the morning to get my suit you can feel the cold air pouring over you. so I moved my clothes to the party wall :)

danmc_82

Suspended
As a matter of interest, why start with the bedroom?

In order of importance (most important first), the rooms to insulate are:
  • Living Rooms
  • Bathrooms
  • Hallway & stairs
  • Bedrooms
  • Kitchen
You spend the vast majority of your time in the bedroom snugly under duvets, and you should sleep in a cool room anyway.

Good question, I think the biggest reason for doing the bedroom first was that it needs decorating anyway and as the living room has not long been done I thought I'd leave that last.

The other reason is similar to what imightbewrong said, the bedroom and living room have two external walls, the living room has a source of heat (woodburner), the bedroom does have a rad but I'm trying to not put my central heating on so I'm using the warm air from the fire to heat the bedroom.

danmc_82

Suspended

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Good question, I think the biggest reason for doing the bedroom first was that it needs decorating anyway and as the living room has not long been done I thought I'd leave that last.

The other reason is similar to what imightbewrong said, the bedroom and living room have two external walls, the living room has a source of heat (woodburner), the bedroom does have a rad but I'm trying to not put my central heating on so I'm using the warm air from the fire to heat the bedroom.
OK, fair enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom