1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest/best way to get Sky Digital

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dunky, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I have finally taken delivery of a brand spanking new 32" widescreen and within half an hour (30 mins of crappy reception and stupid 14:9 broadcasts) decided that I needed digital TV. I live in area with no terrestrial digital reception and no cable. My options are therefore pretty limited to Sky.

My questions:

1) What's the cheapest way to get Sky installed?
    2) I live in a ground floor flat, will I be able to get a standard installation from Sky or will I need to get an independent in?
    3) Is it worth using an independent in order to be able to choose the make of my digibox?
    4) Are there any digiboxes that should be avoided?

Any other useful info for a digital TV newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Duncan

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    1) £1 online offer from SKY's website.
    2) SKY installers have to deal with health and safety issues which mainly affect heights and working on roofs. A ground floor flat should be no problem.
    3) The cheapest deal is not offered by independents, however they do do other deals, have a word with them and decide if the extra cash is worth choosing the box(Remeber an independent can only offer the make he stocks).
    4) Not really, I think it can just be down to personal preference and design now.

3. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst.

One more question: My install will have to go on the back of my flat (should be no problem because other dishes in my street appear to be pointing that way) but my lounge is at the front of my flat. How will the installer get around this problem? He can't really bring the wire in at the back 'cos this would be in my kitchen or bathroom! Would the be able to run the cable around the side of my flat (as I say, it is ground floor so access to this area is not a problem) and then in at the front?

This satellite stuff seems to be a bit of a nightmare!

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    As long as the cable is only running along your wall and not that of someone elses flat then it should not be a problem, they regularly run cables round the outside of a house to enter the correct room.

All this assumes that there are no restrictions in your lease or covenant on freehold, or local by-laws that preclude erecting a dish. Flats often suffer from these restrictions and so have a comunal system rather than one dish per flat.

Mark

5. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, thanks for the advice. I've already got all of the relevant permissions to erect the dish so it looks like I'm all set (as long as the engineer can get a decent line of sight!)

Thanks again.

Duncan

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Why don't you do the cable run yourself in advance of the fitter coming,that way you can run it discretly under floor.It is not difficult and much neater than coax runs down/around walls.This is one of my pet hates,the sight of coax runing down rooftops at stupid angles and around house walls.Argh :mad: