Cheapest AV Receiver with Optical out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by EpsilonVaz, Feb 18, 2014.

1. EpsilonVaz

EpsilonVaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm looking to get a Sonos playbar, it only takes optical in. I want to connect all my components to the receiver then have HDMI to the TV and optical out to the soundbar.

All the AV amps with optical out I have seen are quite high end. Has anyone any idea on the cheapest one?

Thanks

2. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Err so you want to buy an AV receiver and presumably speakers, yet you would rather use a sound bar instead of the AV receiver and speakers?
    Or are you trying to power the sound-bar from the receiver?
    You do realise that the AV receiver and speakers are going to sound far better than any sound-bar, no matter what the source is?
    or have I misunderstood your question?

3. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    If its just hdmi connectivity you need why not get a hdmi switch matrix with the required amount of inputs and You can use the optical audio output from your tv to the soundbar

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    What Don said would be my suggestion too.
    Optical outputs on AVRs are very very rare these days and onyl on the very high end receivers if at all.
    I believe you can get HDMI switches that can strip the sound out and send via optical if your TV does not have an optical output.

5. EpsilonVaz

EpsilonVaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks! I will have a look for those. My issue is that my TV does not pass through 5.1, and I plan to use sonos play:1's from elsewhere. In the house for surround periodically.

6. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Are the sonos able to do that? yes i can see it able to synch all sonos's and all will be playing the same sound but thats not true surround sound

7. EpsilonVaz

EpsilonVaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    From what I have read it will do that, but the soundbar needs 5.1 input to it. Most TVs will only pass through 2.0 so then the surround is simulated.

8. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    You are right. I just read the playbar Manual and it confirms what you say. Neat:smashin:.
    You need soomething like the following:

Media Factory - Octava HD41-ARC-UK, HDMI + Optical + ARC switch

Each of your sources will need to have both HDMI and optical connected to the above switch, then HDMI out to TV and optical out to playbar.

If you encounter lip sync issues, I know the sky box has an option to make some adjustments for its audio output. You'll will have to check if your other sources can do the same if need be.

9. EpsilonVaz

EpsilonVaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Don, thank you so much, that is PERFECT. I will be getting hold of one of those asap!

I'm sure that a few months after I install this, Sonos will probably release a gen 2 Playbar with HDMI input o_O

10. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    LOL. Isn't that always the way.

Glad to be of some help

Enjoy

11. edbyford

edbyford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I have a similar decision to make. At the weekend I bought an Onkyo tx-nr626 with 2x Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 from Richer Sounds. They sold me this after I told them that I was planning to use both a projector and a TV with various inputs including a PS3, Freeview HD box, and laptop.

Now I realise that the BX2s will look quite big when wall mounted, and, similarly to OP, I wonder if I can use a Sonos Playbar instead; as I already have a few other Sonos devices, this would integrate nicely and it would be smaller than the BX2s.

However the Onkyo doesn't have an optical out. The Octava suggested by Don (above) looks like a good solution EXCEPT that the laptop I'm going to use doesn't have an optical out to feed into the switch.

Is there anything out there which can take an HDMI audio/video input, and split the audio to optical? Or will this be mega expensive/difficult and I should just go with the Onkyo and BX2s? I've kept the box sealed so I can return them within 7 days.

12. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
  13. edbyford

edbyford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks @noidea, good find - this seems quite expensive though (even if I can get a UK one). And the diagram still seems to recommend that I use an AV receiver, so I can't substitute the cost of this for an AV receiver?

What would you guys recommend? Will it be simpler for me to keep the traditional AV receiver setup?

14. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Ha, I think the diagram shows the receiver because it was drawn before soundbars were invented and there needed to be something driving the speakers :)

Looking on the web I do think it is HDMI 1.3 so don't know what that means for 3D.
    I looked at this as I was originally looking for a soundbar solution but couldn't get around the fact that many of them are designed to take a single optical input from the tv and tv's just don't pass through surround sound.
    It seems that there is more call for this type of box than ever but it just doesn't seem that anyone is making them.
    I ended up going the receiver + speakers route. It does cost more but there are less compromises to be made

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  15. edbyford

edbyford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thanks - I think I've found the correct box - as I have a TV and a projector, then this (with 2x HDMI out) would replace my AV receiver (assuming I want to use the Sonos Playbar).

16. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Excellent

17. UpNorthAudio

UpNorthAudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys. New here and I have a somewhat similar situation that I am hoping for some input. I am consulting a friend on adding outdoor speakers to his cottage on a lake. Currently he has an LG screen with and LG NB3530A Sound Bar with wireless Sub. He has a somewhat limited budget. Under $1K. We were hoping to use the sound bar as his main indoor speakers with another receiver/amp with B speaker output for the outdoor speakers. We are limited to the fact that this sound bar only has 2 optical ins. I was hoping to find an inexpensive receiver with optical out to achieve our goal. It seems we may be going about this from the "ass end" of things. At one point I mentioned just get rid of the sound bar and buy new speaks and sub for inside. He wasn't digging that option.
    Inputs on the intended system would be;
    Bluetooth (ipod or other music player)
    1/8" (or 3.5mm if you are not into that whole imperial thing)
    TV HDMI
    DVD HDMI

*Note * I will be installing an inline attenuator to set the level outside. set it and forget it!