1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest AMP you can recommend for B&W 601 S3?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BenW, Oct 28, 2005.

1. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just looking at how much it might cost me to get these speakers running properly.

They do 25-100W at 8ohm IIRC. They'll only be in a small room so not looking at amps with 100Wx2, i'm sure 50Wx2 would be plenty.

Would quite like silver rather than black too.

Been looking at something like the Denon PMA655, is that enough/too much?

Thanks
    Ben

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The Better the amp the better it will sound, b&w can be quite demanding on the old current so something with a good current devivery is more important than pure wattage.

3. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See if you can find a store where you can listen to the Denon 655 with the 601's is probably best thing to do.
    I had a quick look at the spex of the denon and it should be able to handle the 601's.
    More powerfull amp's will most likely deliver a beter sound also at lower volume settings.

4. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the replies, what do i need to look for in specs to see if an amp has good current delivery?

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Actualy i'm not sure, ive justy had a look at a few manuals and they don't really mention in.

6. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hmmm, thanks gaz.

Oh and the other thing, how would i connect the output from a pc to an amp? I'd guess its just a 3.5mm-phono cable into an input on the amp?

7. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for that, am i right in asuming that amp with good current delivery would have double the wattage at half the ohm rating? IE 100wx2 at 8ohm and 200x2 at 4ohm?

9. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had quick look on a dutch forum and a user has tested this amp with (as he said Expensive) B&W speakers and the result where much to his satisfaction. Don't think you have a real worry if the Amp can or can't handle them.
    Like said before best is to get to a shop that has both... and hear it......!

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Maybe, but the problem is that specs can lie, the conditions under which the amp achieved the ratings is unknown, look out for DIN power as RMS is the only real one (and if it says PMPO you should run for the hills, as some PMPO say 1000w while its RMS is like 7, and is often used on cheapo pc speakers). Lookout for ones that were tested only at 1kh instead of full frequencie of 20hz-20khz and make sure its 100watt at 8 ohms not 6ohm.

These are just guidelines and to tell how an amp sounds unfortunitly can't be done by looking at its specs, the very best you can do is short list some from reviews/recomendations and go listen yourself. Unlike pretty much anything else how something sounds is so subjective that to be sure yuo have to hear it for yourself.

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yep, pc will usualy use a stereo connection, just get a stereo to 2xphono cable and your sorted, orcourse your using your pc as the pre amp in this situation where as if the amp had a digital in the amp would be doing the preamp stuff. If you get a good sound card it would sound better than most amps anyway.

12. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sort off right I believe :) Read the spex of the amp, you might find the exact info there.
    But you B&W are 8 ohm. If you have 4 ohm speakers then you really need to know your amp can handle that.

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yep indeed, make sure it can handel 4 ohm too, my point was that if it said 100w at 6 ohm that not the same as 100w at 8ohm, but as already said you can't tell from specs how good something sounds, the wattage can be somewhat meaningless.

14. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for all the help!

Anybody have suggestions of an amp in the ~£200 area? Just seen the Marantz SR4320 reciever which obviously has a tuner in it too. I'd guess the denon should give a better sound?

Gaz, my soundcard is a creative X-Fi Extreme Music which has stereo analogue out as well as optical. Which is best for putting on an amp?

Thanks

15. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Most stereo amps don't have a digital in, as thats a pretty good sound card :) the pre amp section on it will be good enough i'm sure, especialy when engage the pure audio modes ect...

16. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ah right, thanks gaz.

Just seen that the denon has switchable outputs so i can connect 2 sets of speakers and switch between. Could be useful when i move house

17. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you can Bi-WIRE...

Will this get me new Questions BenW ;-)

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Or you could just use a fatter wire in the first place :p

Flamewar if this was on the cables thread.

19. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh yes....heavenly!

I've heard of biwire and know it involves 4 wires instead of 2. Maybe 2 for high frequencies and 2 for low? However i thought you need a biwireable amp?

And i've just been looking at speaker cable. Cant really imagine theres much difference :?

Oh and also, do you need bananna plugs for most amps or can you just 'sandwich' the cable to the connector?

20. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Some people recomend you use bare wire as its better connection, although some people go to the extreme of cutting of an inch or so of the cable every six moths as it oxodises and reduces sound quality (apparently). You'll find that the more you delve into the world of hi-fi the more voodoo and black arts there are, espectialy with cables and other esentoric stuff, especialy the stuff that probably cost about £1 to make but gets marketed in every magazine and sells for £1k. Or the manafacturer won't reveal the secret patent for competetive reasons, well 'mate' if its a patent its public knowledge.

Bi amping can give big advantages, but bi-wiring has really had very little sceintific testng, and those that have, usualy show that simply using a thinker single cable produces the same effect, i.e. listeners couldn;t tell the difference. Althogh this is only on a blind test, when the testers are told what they are listening too the results are different, i.e. bi-wire is better so it must sound better, so we believe it sounds better.

21. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks, thats the last of the questions for now :)

22. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have connections for two sets of speakers than yes Bi-wire is something you should surly try out. It does however not always sounds better. My friends 601's series 1 did not sound better on his (old) amp. With my set it gave me :))) for days when I first did it :))

Cables is something you can upgrade later, just don't get the real cheap thin ones. But sorry to say good cables can make a big difference.

You can connect the bare wire, plugs is just more elegant and easier to do. Not sure if plugs improve sound... never tested

23. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ah....more money! Will have to start with cheapy stuff, probably £2/meter stuff. Won't be able to afford loads of money on cables

24. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And some stuff isen't voodoo :) like avoiding vibrations upon the equipment, and having a sturdy stand to put it on... etc..
    If I cut an inch of my cables every month I would have had my third set by now :)

Greetings..

25. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I would recomend chord carnival, its £5/m, but is great stuff and i can't see you neededing replace it.

26. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Will have a look into it. Think i'd probably leave cables a few months after the amps though. I mean i'll find some cheapo speaker cable and i've got a £5 3.5>phono cable.

Just had a look around and seems that for 6m speaker cable/4 bananna plugs/3.5>phono its going to cost £40+