1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest amp with master audio delay?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by azzo, Oct 7, 2003.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok, I'm fed up with the lipsync on my iscan, and as there are no PAL progressive DVD players which support DVD-RAM/-RW
    I reluctantly need a new amp or audio delay box.
    What is the cheapest way I can get an audio delay. Price is an important issue here as I can get a PAL progressive dvd player for 140 pounds (sony 730), even though this is not compatible with the above formats.
    Any help, as always appreciated.
    Azzo.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Denon 3803 or Pioneer AX5i are the logical choices. You'll need to shop around to check for prices but you're looking at upwards of 650 quid for the Denon and 800-900 for the Pioneer.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jesus, thats what I thought, I was looking at these 6 months ago, but thought something new might have come out since then. Its hardly a difficult thing to do. I guess I am going to have to wait until Panasonic or JVC release a PAL progressive DVD player, which hopefully will be soon.
    Thanx
    Azzo

4. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What makes you think a Panasonic or JVC player will cure the problem?
    Progressive scan introduces a delay to the picture and you need a corresponding audio delay to get sound & picture to 'sync' again.
    It doesn't matter where the de-interlacing occurs, it will still produce a delay.
    Apologies if I haven't understood correctly, but a PS player will not negate the need for audio delay.

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A progressive scan DVD player will have its own audio delay built in! This will overcome the iscan 4 field delay. There will still be a minor delay with the display device. On my display (AE100 projector, this will be small as there is very little processing of the picture, thats why it looks crap with a raw signal).
    I was looking at the JVC and panny as these are the only one which support DVD RAM.
    I wish somebody would invent a cheap digital box that will give you an audio delay. They will make a packet.
    Azzo.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Azzo

Only some players have this feature built in. Off the top of my head, I believe the Arcam DV27 is one of them. I think the new Sony 999ES is another.

My Toshiba SD520 and 900 certainly don't have this feature and I have to use the Audio Delay on my amp to compensate.

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the arcam dv88+ has a built in audio delay i think its set to 40ms , some films need a bit more though,

there is a audio delay box (behringer) but it only does 2 channel audio.

8. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    jmack, two channel audio delay - surely everyone is using 5.1

Jase, are you sure they don't all have this feature built in, surely manufactures know that adding deinterlacing would cause this problem?
    I think the new JVC DVD players don't use an external deinterlacing chip and build up the image direct from source, this may reduce the problem. The hillarious thing is that the silicon images deinterlacing chip actually has audio delay built into it because it knows it is required, some other chips may do the same, its a shamge manufacturers don't utilise it.
    Spending 600 on an amp just to illiminate lipsync seems mad.
    Azzo.

9. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but for sky/ntl it was an option

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Certainly not able to access it on my Toshiba's. I believe the facility is there with the chipset but it's not enabled. I use my amp to compensate so it's not a problem for me personally.

11. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    For the record all current Arcam DVD players take account of the video processing delays caused by their internal deinterlacers by introducing a corresponding audio delay on both PCM and streamed digital from DVD-Video.

This is automatic in the case of the DV88 Plus / DV89 models and user selectable on the DV27 family (where both interlaced and progressive video are available simultaneously).

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)