1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest amp with auto setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wolfman310, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello,

I own the Canton CD1 package that is available on the forum, but now need something to power them etc.

I am tone death and can't tell when something is set up correctly and so never get the best out of something.

Does anyone know a cheap amp, no more than say £200 that has auto setup?

Something like the denon auto setup that sorts it all out is what i am after, then i don't have to worry about if anything is incorrect.

Any ideas?

Thanks, :)

2. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The only one I know of at the moment and it's a bit over budget is the Pioneer VSX-915, a new release.

It's got an auto setup mode (a microphone that you place in your normal listening position and you clap your hands, it does the rest) and each channel has a five band graphic equaliser to really get a good setup.

Also it's a 7.1 model and has had good reviews.

List price is £300 but I've seen it online for £235.

3. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that, that isn't too bad at all.

Do you know what the sound is like? I like a deep warm vibrant sound i think. Nothing tinny, too bassy or too much up the treble range.

Do you think i would be better just seeing and waiting till i can afford the Denon 2805, which is what i have wanted all year so far?

Movies aren't the same without an amp, so i am inclined to just get anything for now :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.

4. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cypher.007,
    I can only go on the couple of articles I've read. Both gave it a high rating on a specification versus cost, you get quite a bit for your money.

As far as the sound goes, they both stated it was a "lively" upfront sound with great vocal definition for movies, but a little bright with music.

Given your budget, I suppose the best advice would be to try and get a demo somewhere? It's quite new however and the sound is going to vary according to the type of speakers you're driving anyway.

From what I recall, the advice in one of the articles was to match it with a sub/sat system that wasn't too bright/tinny itself and you should be okay.

I've just taken the plunge and ordered one anyway (to go with a Mission sub/sat system).

If music is your thing, then from what I've read, Denon receivers always get good reviews from their owners.....That said, I like Pioneer kit - Each to their own!

5. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Just got a Yamaha RX-V650 (Highly reviewed Receiver at £460) from Hyper-Fi which was £220, this has Auto setup :)

6. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Would you have a link to that mate?

7. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    www.hyperfi.co.uk - click on the 2nd Page to load the PDF.

They said they only had one Ex-Demo which was a bit ropey £179, Page says £249.99 new and boxed but I bought some speakers and haggled :)

They seem quite open to a bit of bartering :smashin:

Delivery on top but it was next working day, ordered Friday afternoon, arrived Monday about 10am :thumbsup:

Fantastic Value!

8. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks a lot,

I will consider them both when i have replaced my clutch!!

Always something to get in the way isn't there :(

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Buy the amp you want for the price you can afford (even if it doesn't have auto-setup). Buy an SPL meter for about £25.

Once armed with the SPL meter and a tape measure you can set the amp up better than any auto-setup will be able to without having to worry about using your ears.

Having said that, if you can't tell if it's set up properly or not why go to the effort of finding one with auto-setup? :confused:

10. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have never had one set up up properly, and i am too much of a beginner to set one up correctly etc.

I think if i get one that can do it for me then i will get more out of my home cinema and realise what i was missing by not setting one up correctly.

I shall go for one i like and get an spl meter then, thanks ;-)

I mean by not telling, i don't know if i am getting the best out of something, i am more of a plug and play person when it comes to amps sadly.

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not to worry, we were all like that at one stage. Having the SPL meter won't enable the equipment to set itself up but it really is a doddle to do and will save you some bucks.

Here's a brief rundown which should get you going satisfactorily assuming you have a sub:
    * Plug everything in properly and position your speakers where you want them.
    Then in your amplifier menu:
    * Set all speakers to Small and crossover to 100Hz. Sub set to On.
    * Use tape measure to input speaker/listener distances accurately.
    * Use SPL meter to set individual speakers to the same volume.

The manual will help guide you through all of those sections, and having done those you can be sure that your equipment is set up better than any auto-setup can. Just have a bit of faith in yourself. :)

12. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that, is very much apreciated.

I have the Canton CD1 package from the gentlemen from the forum, they are wonderful looking speakers.

If you had the choice between the yamaha V350, and a Pioneer D514 which would you choose?

There doesn't seem that much on the web about these two items,

Thanks again.

13. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    FWIW I've just bought a Denon 2105 amp with auto set up and frankly it's a bit poor.
    It seems to have set the levels well and the delays look sensible but it variously ignored the fact that there is a sub connected (even though I could hear it on the test tones) and told me my fronts were out of phase - which was true the first time I ran it but not the second time :)
    On balance I think it's a gimick and I could probably have bought a cheaper amp and spent the extra on better SPL meter than the one I have.