1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest 5Yr Warranty

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by e_python, Jun 20, 2005.

1. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the cheapest place to buy a 5 Yr Warranty on, guess what, a 42PV500 :clap:

I looked at Domestic and General website and it is £499. :eek:

Thanks in advance !

2. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have you bought the TV already? If not John Lewis offer a free 5 year warantee. You could also see if your home insurance offer there own type of warantee?

Sorry to hijack your thread (this is probably useful to you e_python), but do people actually feel a 5 year warranty is worth getting on plasmas? I dont have a plasma yet, but would never pay the extra for a 5 year warranty on a CRT TV.

I guess the question is are the plasma's reliable or prone to breakdown? Is the 5 year guarantee just a safeguard on a big investment?

3. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I went to a demo of the 37 PV500 on Saturday.

The question of breakdown and repairs was discussed, the salesman told me that they dont actually "Repair" anything Digital,so unless the panel had say a power supply fault,they would always exchange it for another one.
    I wonder what the situation is with Extended Warranties from say General & Domestic?
    Regards
    Alan

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    D&G are good. They will obviously try to repair as first instance but as with anything digital nowdays apart from PSU repair it usually most likely means swap out. If not an equivalent replacement unit, all the usual insurance cover stuff from them and they are well recognised and established. Also quite useful is they cover Accidental Damage which is obviously very, very nice to have for that complete peace of mind. I got a great deal on my 5 year plasma plan from them.

5. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I have already bought mine. Although not delivered yet.

Now I am having second thoughts (and nightmares) that I should have waited and paid extra to buy from JL.

Any ideas?

6. bkny

bkny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like to be mathematical about this, so here goes. Plasma is worth £2000 (totaldigital) warranty is £390 (av-sales). 2000/390 = 5.128. Therefore if 1 in every 5 plasma's broke down they would make no profit assuming no staff expenses etc. In reality of the £390 I would randomly guess that £190 of that is commissions (avsales) and costs. Therefore really the cost of the actual insurance is £200, therefore 1 in 10 replacement rate gives breakeven in terms of profit. Obviously they need contingency (in case the plasma is rubbish for example) and to make a profit on these things aswell, lets assume its £50 a policy. Thats £150 a policy, which implies that they meet their profit targets if only 1 in 13 (unlucky for some) need replacing.

Hope that makes sense and clearly its a simplistic view, but that implies a complete guesstimate of a 7.7% failure rate. Otherwise they don;t make enough money. Also it seems to be the concensus that "most" faults happen int h first year anyway, lets assume 50% of problems happen in first year and therefore would be covered by manufacturer warrany anyway, then thats a 3.85% failure rate.

On that measure I think I would take the risk of not having 5 year cover. But instead I am going to wait till September and try and get a John Lewis pricematch, as I am in no rush.

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Can understand your worries as it is a large investment. Positive thing is premiums have come drastically down in the last year due to plasma's being far more reliable than underwriters initially thought.

I would say if it works trouble free for the first year it should be fairly ok for it's life. You could always exercise fit for purpose against the manufacturer.

The warranty from JL is a nice to have but it is shops own and fairly basic, also not as good as something like D&G's which is actually an insurance plan. TADL also do them for £389 for 5 years. If I was you I'd phone D&G as they do knock it down quite considerably dependent on factors. I feel far more confident with my policy with D&G than the one I have with JL :smashin: