1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest 42" Plasma in UK?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by daren jackson, Nov 2, 2002.

1. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    It may well be the cheapest, but do see one before you buy.

The adverts all say something like 'the latest in plasma technology' which is a long way from the truth.

The contrast ratio especially, but the brightness as well are far from the 'latest'. Also I've yet to see an advert that listed the inputs that it has or any mention of PAL progressive capability.

If you just want to have a 42" plasma for a commercial application and are not concerned about image quality then fair enough, but don't fall for the adverts and think you are getting anything like the standard of other 2002 model plasmas.

Mark

3. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice

BTW I already have the 42" Panny (bought for £2500), just thought I'd let other people know - It's the first time I have seen a plasma for under 2K!

4. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    where did you get your 42" panasonic from? the cheapest i've seen is £2999 for the pw42,and i'm desperate to get one soon

5. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it from Techtronics (no flame wars please) a couple of months ago. They no longer have any of the "4"'s left and the "5" is alot more expensive (got the panny on two years interest free as well!)

6. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    If they do Panny 5 on interest free for a sensible price, Id do the same

Adrian

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's some stuff I found regarding the above mentioned model. That price of £1899 doesn't include a stand or speakers.

Model PDP4202
    Type AC Plasma Display - Updated
    Aspect Ratio 16 : 9
    Screen Size Screen Size 921 (W) x 518 (H) mm (42
    Pixel Pitch 1.08mm x 1.08mm
    No of Pixels 853 x 480
    Contrast More than 400 : 1
    Brightness 350cd/m² (without filter)
    Display Colours 16.7 Million Colours
    Input Signal NTSC, PAL, SECAM, DVD, SVGA
    Audio Output 10W + 10W
    Power Consumption <400 W
    Viewing Angle 160 Degrees
    Display Frequency (Horizontal) Horizontal : 15.75-50KHz
    Display Frequency (Vertical) Vertical : 50-75Hz
    Regulation UL, CE, CCIB, FCC, EMC Class - A
    Operating Temperature Temperature 0-25 Degrees Celsius
    Humidity Conditions Relative Humidity 20-80%
    Power Source 90-250VAC / 50-60Hz
    Dimensions 1070 (W) x 660 (H) x 99.5 (D)mm
    Weight 38Kg (without stand)

Features
    Wide viewing angle.
    Excellent picture quality
    Slim, lighter and brighter.
    No magnetic interference.

Added 14/11/2001
    Q How should I care for my Relisys 42” Plasma Display Panel?
    There are several aspects to caring for your PDP which include physical, electrical and usage.

Physical care would include handling the product carefully, taking care not to scratch or otherwise damage the screen. Impact, extremes of temperature and humidity outside the indicated tolerances and opening the casing are all ways in which you can permanently physically damage your valuable PDP.

Electrical care includes making sure the connections you have made to other devices are correct before turning the display on, using a filter and surge protector if you live in an area with an unreliable mains electricity supply. You should also follow all local electrical regulations regarding the installation and operation of electrical equipment. Never install the Plasma in a bathroom or other humid environment.

Usage is the most important aspect of Plasma Display Panel care as it is the area which can expose the display to long periods of misuse. Plasma displays are susceptible to ‘burn-in’ in much the same way as CRT monitors. The effect can be permanently damaging. It is the responsibility of the user to ensure that the plasma is used correctly. This means keeping the brightness of the display as low as possible for the particular purpose, especially with bright, static images such as a PowerPoint Presentation. If the image is moving or generally quite dark, then brightness can be increased. Some burn-in effects can be temporary. If you see after images, this is a sign that if you continue to use the display with these settings and these images, you will permanently damage your screen.

Added 14/11/2001
    Q What possibilities are there for connecting the Plasma Display Panel to other devices?
    The Plasma has four kinds of inputs for video signals. They are given below with examples of each.

1. Composite Video Input (PAL, SECAM and NTSC), Phono (RCA) style socket. Most video cassette recorders, many digital cameras, most digital video cameras, some games consoles, some security cameras, some PC video cards, most cable/SKY boxes.

2. S-Video input, S-Video style socket. Most newer, especially high quality devices such as video recorders, DVD players etc.

3. Component video signal input, 3 x Phono (RCA) style socket Generally high quality devices such as DVD players etc.

4. SVGA input, computer style SVGA socket. All IBM compatible computers, Windows Based Terminals and any other SVGA source.

Added 14/11/2001
    Q Can I use SCART devices with the Plasma Display Panel?
    Any device that has a SCART output (video recorders and games consoles for example) can be used with the Relisys Plasma Display Panel.

You will need a connecting lead with a SCART plug at one end and at least three Phono plugs at the other. Usually, you have a Red, White and Yellow Phono lead. Here, the Red and White leads are the Left and Right audio channels and the Yellow lead is the composite video signal.

Added 14/11/2001
    Q Will the Plasma Display Panel display TV signals?
    Although the panel does not have a Radio Frequency (RF) tuner for decoding television signals from radio transmitters, the plasma can display PAL, NTSC and SECAM type Video Composite (Phono) signals.

All but the oldest video recorders have a video composite output that can be connected to the plasma video socket.

Added 14/11/2001
    Q How can I improve the image quality of my Plasma Display?
    Different video sources (and different films, presentations and animations) will use different parameters such as the colour pallet, resolution and dynamic range. To optimise for any particular image source you should be looking to adjust the settings of brightness, contrast, sharpness, and colour temperature.

Refer to the manual for where to find these settings on the on-screen display. In particular, the colour temperature setting can be useful for reducing the ‘posterisation’ effect (patches of one colour where there should be a smooth transition between many colours).