Cheapest 3G tablet?

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by Natalie92, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Natalie92

Natalie92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi guys.

Looking for the cheapest tablet available that offers a sim card slot so i can use a mobile phones data connection on it.

It preferably needs to have android installed so i can use the NHL GAMECENTER APP so i can watch live hockey games.

Nothing else really matters lol.

Anyone help?

2. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +924
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Aside from the iPad theres not that many with a 3G slot aside from the Galaxy Tab already mentioned, the HTC Flyer or the Motorola Xoom

4. Natalie92

Natalie92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hmm all seem a bit too expensive atm. What about a tablet that offers a slot for a 3G dongle (as i could pick one of these up for around £20)?

5. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,559
    Already having the phone and data plan means you can choose any tablet within your budget and use a blue tooth tethered connection. You do not need 3G.

6. Natalie92

Natalie92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Using the tethered connection does this make speeds any slower than using an actual sim card slot?

I know it sounds pretty dumb but just wondering whether there is any difference in speed using a tethered connection for my potential tablet or getting one and using the sim card slot.

7. kerbys

kerbys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just done a speed test using a galaxy 2s as access point nd got a 1.6mb connection.

Only problem is convenience. If built in you have only one device to rely on. You now have tge battery of the phone to worry about.

8. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,559
    My honest answer is I don't know for sure as I do not have a slot device to compare.

My best guess would be it depends on the bluetooth connection quality and strength. I don't think there will be much difference if the devices are in within a few metres of each other.

If I'm in an area of coverage to get an HSDPA connection I can watch YouTube for example without issue if this is your concern.

9. kerbys

kerbys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I used to have an iPad2 with a "3" connection the convience with it built in is worth it.

I have a Transformer Prime without purely because the dont and wont make one with 3g.

I would personally get a tablet with the modem built in and pay the extra. it really is worth it.

10. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,559
    It's quite a premium to pay for though, just to remove the inconvenience of a few screen taps.

Also if you read the first post he appears to be discussing swapping the SIM back and forth from the phone. Can' t see any convenience in that at all.

11. kerbys

kerbys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    "3" do a sim i used for the ipad that was 3b over 3 months that was enough for me for journeys into work at at friends houses when wifi was shady. that was £12 so £4 aa month. hardly any need to swap sims!

12. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,559
    That seems a reasonable deal but he still has to pay extra for the built in hardware and a tariff when he already has it is pocket.

13. Natalie92

Natalie92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for all the points so far. I have seen a pretty good deal at the carphone warehouse for the HTC FLYER. its £30 a month (with an upfront cost of £50). However i don't need the 5gb data they are quoting as i already have a 15gb monthly sim card.

I have a '3' mobile sim card which has 15gb worth of internet data on it per month (as i recently took out an £18 pay monthly deal with them for a mi-fi). However i decided to sell the mi-fi as my cooling off period was too late and the 3 connection in my area is not as fast as my t-mobile connection (i should have checked i know was more of an impulse buy). So basically now i am stuck paying £18 a month for internet data without a tablet to use it with.

The only reason i was going to use my t-mobile sim is because in my area i get faster speeds with them than i do 3. However 3 would probably be a fast enough connection i'm just being awkward lol.

So yeah, i would not need to keep swapping my mobile sim around, would keep my mobile sim card in my mobile phone and use the 15gb monthly data i get with my 3 sim card, in my tablet.

I have thought about getting a cheap tablet with a usb slot, and buying a usb dongle but not so sure i want something sticking out the side.

14. Natalie92

Natalie92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just to add to that, the only reason i want a tablet is for the NHL GAMECENTER APP so i can stream live games. I could use my laptop however i have just tried a speed test with my laptop hooked up to my tethered mobile connection and got download speeds of 0.47mb. My phone is a samsung omnia 7. This is not enough to stream live games i think it states you need at least 800kb which i'm guessing is 0.80mb?

If i purchased a mobile broadband USB stick for around £20 i wonder if the speed would be any faster?

15. kerbys

kerbys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Not all tablets support usb modems i believe they need a custom build.

Have you tried a wifi hotspot or usb tethering? Bluetooth isa slow data transfer method.

16. Stelph

Stelph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The Cheapest im aware of would be the Archos G9 range, you can get the 8" version here for £199 for the standard 1Ghz, £229 for the 1.2Ghz and £249 for the 250GB HDD version

ARCHOS

All 3 have a USB slot in the back for adding a 3G (which also works on a PC) for £43 here

ARCHOS G9 3G STICK review cheap prices G9 3G STICK ARCHOS best buy discount online uk shop

Review here, has been confirmed that Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) is coming the first week in Feb
    Archos 101 G9 review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Tablets

17. Natalie92

Natalie92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought these came with a sim card slot? Or do you have to purchase the 3g stick and put the sim in there?

18. Stelph

Stelph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    They come with a hidden USB Slot (under a remeovable backplate)that you have to buy the USB 3G stick to add in the back, in the review there is a picture of it

TBH this is quite a neat solution as the USB slot can be used to add other USB devices if not being used for the 3G stick, quite useful for USB drives etc!

19. marvi0

marvi0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Am also interested, any more advice on a cheap 3g tablet that can be bought in store preferably.

20. rupertx

rupertx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dont Nexus have a 32gb version which offers 3g ?

21. marvi0

marvi0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    At over 200£ a piece.