1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest 16:9 panel DLP p/j?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by reefer, May 23, 2002.

1. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title says...

Is the illusive Piano the cheapest DLP 16:9 DLP p/j? or are there any others. Want to feed DVD via a HCPC, so that rules the Piano out.

Was considering the Panny AE100, but seriously gone off it. Now fancy spending a little more for a DLP, even if I can see rainbows I`d rather have that than all the lcd downsides instead.

If i buy a 4:3 XGA DLP and feed via the HCPC then this should realise the best performance.

Any comments welcome.

2. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi M8

Only go for a DLP you have demo'd.
    I demo'd the Optoma 753 and thought the contrast ratio was fab. But the rainbows seriously damaged my enjoyment of the movie.
    I saved half my cash by going LCD and although the contrast is not as good I find it more pleasurable to view :)

Chris

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Chris is right about rainbows - some people who see the rainbows suffer headaches when viewing for prolonged periods, so do try to demo if you can.

If you don't suffer, then using an htpc and a 4:3 pj is a good way to start.

My pj (Davis DLS8) is only 800 x 600 and gives an excellent picture. Plus do two pjs other than the Piano - the V-807 and the V-1080 se this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36967

The only posible problem areas (for me anyway) are the lack of zoom and them not being ceiling mountable.

I guess the zoom isn't an issue if you manage to get the pj in the perfect position. I just bunged mine on the ceiling and zoomed to fit onto the screen.

Gary.

4. crispie

crispie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Sahara S3600, DLP

1024x768, good contrast ration, excelent resalution, 4000 hrs bulb life, tiny and quiet.......

and even better.....only £2290, including VAT. !!!!