1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheaper Sky+ 160?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DVD_Junkie, Jan 29, 2005.

1. DVD_Junkie

DVD_Junkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking an PVRs and have come down in favour of Sky+ It has the benefit over the other HD recorders that it can record one Sky channel while watching another etc.

The only problem is the standard Sky+ box only has a 40 gig HD giving about 22 hours of recording space. I've a feeling I might use this up if there are a couple of good series running on Sky and I want to hang onto my recordings a while.

The 160 gig box looks better, but it's too expensive at an extra £200. Especially when you consider that a 160 gig drive costs about £70.

Anyone know if there are plans to drop the price of the 160gig box? You can't easily buy 40 gig hard drives anymore so I'm hoping the 40 gig box will be phased out, and the price of the 160 gig model reduced.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY+ is not really designed to be an archieving tool and it's a brave soul who attempts to use it as such, if you have a couple of hundred quid to spare and considering a larger capacity SKY+ then perhaps a DVD recorder may be a good alternative.

The price of the SKY+160 is probably linked to getting Thomson on board so may remain at that price point especially if people are daft enough to buy it at that price!
    There is a PACE 80gig SKY+ (no usb's) on the roadmap but SKY have remained tight lipped on it's actually release or of it has even been put into production.
    No argument that the 40gig model is seriously outdated, it was when it was launched.

3. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You yourself have pointed out that the 160 hds on their own are relatively cheap. Any particular reason why you couldn't just do the diy upgrade that many on here have done?

Failing that get sky plus and a dvd recorder and keep the shows on dvd to watch later. This is the route that I've taken with the excellent Panasonic e55 recorder.