1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheaper DVDs from Japan?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by richard plumb, Oct 1, 2002.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    I want to buy DVDs from Japan now and then. Laputa is out this weekend, so thats my next buy, along with Porco Rosso.

But I can't find anywhere cheap. Does Japan have the equivalent of DVDboxoffice, or DVDempire? I don't mind if its Japanese language only. Ideally it'll ship abroad, but if its free shipping then domestic only is fine - I'll ship to my in-laws and they can forward it on.

The main desire is to pay less than 4900 Yen - bloody expensive.

Current system is either I get my sister-in-law to pick up Porco Rosso and Laputa at full retail (she gets loyalty points or something), or I order at full retail price from cdjapan.

I can usually get 20-25% off UK prices online, so I want to pay around 35-3700 Yen.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. INORAN

INORAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I don't think you'll ever find a Japanese origin DVD with that amount of discount from the RRP.

Almost all Japanese products have a price printed on the back and this is the price stores are required to sell them for. This is the reason music stores in Japan sell the American or English versions of Western artists CD's far cheaper than the Japanese versions.

There are a few online stores based in Japan who offer slight discounts but I've never seen one that ships internationally and almost certainly no one there will speak any English.

Your best bet is probably Amazon.co.jp who have recently added English help to their site and they sell things at the standard Japanese store prices rather than the slightly jacked up prices places like cdjapan.co.jp sell them for. If you use the International Economy shipping the postage is reasonable and the few things I've ordered from there since I came back to England from Japan have always arrived much, much faster than they claim it will. They also seem to ship via Amsterdam to avoid customs charges which is excellent when you consider you pretty much can’t buy anything in Japan with a value under £18 and which has also recently become a big problem for CDJapan who were caught out sending items as gifts from Tokyo and forced to declare everything which sadly for them is probably losing them a lot of custom.

If you find anywhere who does offer international shipping at a discount then please post it here. My girlfriend is Japanese and the cost of keeping both of us up to date with Japanese music/DVD's etc. is verrrrrry expensive. :)

Chris

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Laputa on pre-order but I didn't care about the price... I simply MUST have it ^_^ My Neighbour Totoro and End of Evangelion all arrived within the last two weeks and I'm also looking for a good Japanese site.

I've yet to try out amazon.co.jp but it looks like its the best option for other items... I've shopped at jlist.com a few times but most of my animés are from dvdboxoffice.com... Even if they are lacking the You're Under Arrest box sets pre-order and other titles >_<

5. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am tring to get hold of some DVD's from the Philippines (local movies as the wife is from there), I found one site but they are local to the Philippines and are expensive for both the movies and the postage.

Is anyone aware of any "more international" sites that may stock such films?

Many Thanks

6. INORAN

INORAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yeah, Laputa and Totoro are too important for little things like price to get in the way of owning them on DVD.. ^_^

I haven't seen the End of Evangelion though. I still need to get the Evangelion Perfect Collection but my girlfriend keeps telling me only "maniacs" watch that show and turns her nose up at it.. -_-

Since coming back to England from Japan we've bought once from CdJapan (ouch~! said the UPS fees) and quite a few things from Amazon Japan and Amazon have been very good, especially for avoiding the import fees.

If you don't have friends or relatives in Japan (or even if you do but they're all too lazy like mine...) then I'd definitely recommend Amazon. They've made the site much easier to use for English speakers now and they sell for the RRP.

For conington;

I found this site here;

http://www.pilipinosuperstore.com/

They appear to sell DVD's from the Philippines although I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. The prices don't look too bad though.

Chris

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    cdjapan.co.jp are reliable but not exactly cheap i.e. Laputa inc p&p = 27odd or 33odd pounds depending on del.

8. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    FOR INORAN

Many thanks, my life may be a little easier now that I can get the wife some Filipino films on DVD, looks like they have a good selection. I'll give them a try.

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evangelion for "maniacs"... Hehe... Well to be honest you wouldn't really watch the whole series to cheer yourself up thats for sure... Especially with End of Evangelion. However I still beleive that it probably has the best characterisation that I've seen either from a traditional movie or from any form of animation I've seen ever... Not to mention the thousands of metaphors and religious suggestions within the animé itself. Very trippy, very multi-layered and often very confusing ^_^;; Well worth watching though IMO, probably one of the best animé series ever made...

For non-japanese speaking people there is a website that will translate a given site for you - http://babel.altavista.com/

I'm currently using this translation site for amazon.co.jp and its not a bad effort. Using http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic as the currency converter helps too and £20.70 for the DVD isn't shabby at all. All in all it looks like I'll have to start shopping from here... Just hope my wallet is up to the job ^_^