1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheaper automated curtains

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Fartpants, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to buy one of these off ebay for £125 delivered, mind you on US ebay they go for $110, but I couldn't be bothered with all the import stuff & get a new psu and all that

Any how still a lot less than other places,

http://www.stylishliving247.co.uk/

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I know I'm lazy, but I finally got around to fitting them at the weekend.

The package came with brackets for wall or ceiling mounting, I used the wall ones.

I am not the worlds greatest DIY expert, but I managed OK. The difficult part is getting the system extended to the full length, but I got there in the end.

A good point is the rail then clips to the bracket, so if you don't like how it is fitted, you can change it quite easily.

3. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    What's the quality like on the unit? Is the motor quiet etc etc?

Cheers,
    Ben.

4. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The build, well the track appears to be extruded aluminium, and the wunning gear is quite well thought out, well at the begining of the week I decided I would like the motor unit on the other side of the window, it took longer to take the curtains on and off than to change the rail around.

The motor appears to be quite hefty, I think it is going to be OK for the job, but it is housed in an awful casing. The curtain rail makes it easy to make sure this is hidden by the curtain.

It does make a noise, you would notice it, but in is smooth.

Overall something I wanted to do for a long time, but this has been done much cheaper.

If I had to set up a unit to the maximum length I would be concerned at the assembly, to the point I would ask someone to help.

Good for someone on a budget, not so good for a really fussy user

5. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,460
    New from eBay or used ? What username ?

Cheers,
    Mike.

6. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for the info Mr. Pants.

I've been looking at the Us ebay auctions for $110 that you mentioned.

I asked the guy for shipping for 2 of the units to the UK and he told me it would be 125$ for both. He will also supply them with the UK power adapter.

So that works out at 176 quid for 2 plus VAT and duty and all that stuff, call it £100 quid each in total roughly then.

You did alright getting 1 for 125, but I reckon it'd be worth it to ship em over now that the price on the UK website is £185 + £15 postage i.e. twice the price.

Cheers,
    Ben.