Cheap XBox360 HDTV options?

is1111

got my xbox360 preordered and hopefully get it on launch on 2nd dec but currently i don't have anything to take advantage of 720p resolution.
was planning on playing it thru my panny 42" plasma(not hd screen) but would like to get a smaller screen(probably lcd) which could double as tv in my kitchen and could be quickly moved to use on xbox360 when required.
currently not sure how good xbox360 will look on my plasma but don't think it will do it justice. will try at 480p and 720p from xbox360 and see how screen handles it.

meanwhile anyone got any cheap suggestions for 17"-23" screen that will handle 720p and be ok with xbox360.

cheers

xbox-guru

Standard Member
I'm currently using my Xbox with an X2VGA+ adaptor, giving me 720p/1080i on a standard 17" monitor.

There's a VGA cable being released for the Xbox 360, which I'm guessing will use the same technologies and should enable a standard TFT monitor to benefit from the HD resolutions.

With this in mind, any 17" LCD TV with a VGA input should suffice. I found this from the Xbox website, which supports my theory:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

Xbox-Guru

is1111

xbox-guru said:
I'm currently using my Xbox with an X2VGA+ adaptor, giving me 720p/1080i on a standard 17" monitor.

There's a VGA cable being released for the Xbox 360, which I'm guessing will use the same technologies and should enable a standard TFT monitor to benefit from the HD resolutions.

With this in mind, any 17" LCD TV with a VGA input should suffice. I found this from the Xbox website, which supports my theory:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

Xbox-Guru
cheers for that but as all the games are 720p widescreen i'm not sure how this will translate to a 4:3 monitor/tft display.
checked with some other forum members and my plasma will display 720p and scale it to screens native resolution and hopefully with decent results. quite happy with picture i get on current consoles but ms really pushing the whole 720p widescreen thing and
so going to see how things go with this setup and then look at the hdtv ready situation next year after sky hd service is released.
i would hope that prices of hd ready screens will have dropped a bit next year.

Eiji

The Xbox360 can do 1024x768 via VGA amongst other resolutions, probably at 4:3 too.

Aladdin3

Standard Member
Well ive bought a Hitachi 17LD4200 17 in. HDTV-Ready LCD Television
but at present am not that pleased, although i've only tried it with the
old box & S-video.

Its 1280x768 & supports 1080i/720p but since i bought it Hitachi uk say
it won't give me an HD-TV image??? You go figure.

All i'd say is be careful what you buy but a sub 12ms would be best, this
one motion blurs with footie games. :mad:

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=324&drilldown=2&urlnumber=0

is1111

although this shows the xbox360 will display various resolutions the games are all supposed to be programmed in min 720p. as the xbox360 will be scaling the picture to fir the resolution you choose i think it is going to be a case of fiddling with the different resolutions to see what you think looks best on your display.
my plasma might scale the 720p signal down to fit my screen better than the 360 so will need to play about with the settings!!

jasonl

is: if you wanna see how x360 games would look like on your plasma, jsut download some of them HD video demos (the 720p ones) of the games and you'll have pretty much have an idea what they'd look like

so long your plasma can accept a 720p signal, wether component of vga, then you'd be alright...if it cant (7 series cant on the vga afaik), then set the x360 to output in 1080i then you'd still be aight :)

those dells are 16x10 and heard some issues with it though nothing major....you'd be better off with the samsung LCs

dbm001

Aladdin3 said:
Well ive bought a Hitachi 17LD4200 17 in. HDTV-Ready LCD Television
but at present am not that pleased, although i've only tried it with the
old box & S-video.

Its 1280x768 & supports 1080i/720p but since i bought it Hitachi uk say
it won't give me an HD-TV image??? You go figure.

All i'd say is be careful what you buy but a sub 12ms would be best, this
one motion blurs with footie games. :mad:

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=324&drilldown=2&urlnumber=0
I have recently bought a Relisys RTL17AP15, you can find it for around £230-250. 17" LCD TV, component inputs, PC input, displays 480p/720p/1080i (HD). Very good picture on both TV and for gaming.

It only has a 25ms refresh, however on playing Fifa 06 and a few other games in 720p on my modded Xbox using component cables there is no motion blur. Looking forward to hooking up my 360 to it on Friday!

Was looking to buy a 32-40" lcd, but after reading this forum looks like i'll be better to wait a while...

D.

Trending threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom