Cheap way to get bi-amp & power capability, is this possible?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dave010880, Feb 15, 2014.

1. dave010880

dave010880
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I've been upgrading my system for a while now with better speakers etc. I've moved to a nice set of Mission 754 Freedoms for fronts and 752 Freedoms for my rears + other missions for the remaining center, back and additional surrounds. I have read quite a bit and been advised by people that I would see a noticeable improvement by bi-amping the setup. I will say that most of my budget has been spent on the speakers and looking at 7.1 amps that are capable of bi-amping on fronts alone (I would like to bi-amp the rears too) the prices are extortionate. That too is said of the mono block options.

So I'm trying to find a cheap way of getting the ability to bi-amp my whole setup and had the following idea. Can anyone advise whether this is okay to do? Are there any problems that could arise that I've not thought of?

I currently use a Denon AVR3802 that I've been very happy with and with the power capability. I can pick these up from £80 - £150 so I am thinking... If I bought a second 3802, could I use the optical out to daisy-chain the signal to the second amp. Then attach the high end terminals on my speakers to one and the low end to another?

As they would be the same amp the one remote should turn them up and down together? Also I could fine tune the balance between bass and treble a little better. Only problem I could imagine is that there may be a delay in the signal from one amp to another. But possible solution could be to adjust speaker distances to alter timings between the two?

Any tech opinions would be appreciated before I spend on trying this out, Thanks.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    You could use a second AVR-3802 but not in the way you describe!

You would connect the Front LR Pre Outs of your 1st AVR to the Front LR Ext In's on the second AVR and connect the Front LR Speaker Out terminals of the 2nd AVR to either the HF or LF terminals of your Bi-Amp capable loudspeakers.

You may have to experiment with where to set the volume knob on the second AVR to give you the correct volume levels between the two AVR’s – and ensure you remove the Loudspeaker HF to LF ‘links’ before you plug in the second AVR!!!

Joe

3. dave010880

dave010880
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response, I do already have a bunch of nice cables to do that from another setup so this is possible - AWESOME!

I do have a question, could you clarify why I would have to connect the pre-outs instead of the optical? To be fair I've not looked up what exactly the optical out actually outputs so I'm guessing that could be why. Only reason I ask if it's definitely not possible is that that many cables will make things a pain in the arse for wiring behind. It's already a mass of spaghetti even with trying to group and tidy them up so adding more isn't ideal... but not impossible. Thanks, Dave

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Process the audio once (in the first AVR) and use the Pre Outs to the Line-in on the second AVR and you are effectively using the second AVR as a Power Amp.

Process the audio in the First and Second AVR using the Optical Out to Optical In and you are going to find it very difficult (if not impossible) to keep everything in sync.

Joe

PS If your RCA to RCA cables are too long have them shortened or order a shorter set to keep things neat at the rear of the 2 AVR’s.

5. dave010880

dave010880
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

That's great to know, I would rather not have deal with syncing issues.

My RCA's are only 1m long it's just they are nice chunky cables about 9mm dia that are quite rigid. If I bi-amp only the fronts and rear's it may be ok however every speaker in my setup (8 Speakers) are bi-ampable so I'm likely to wan't to do as many as I have cables for. It'll get quite busy behind there with the hdmi's, coax, opticals and the mass of speaker wires. But quality will prevail and I'll just have to figure some way to keep it neat!

Thanks for all the advice... best go on a hunt for another amp now :) Although I have just seen another set of 754's I'm really tempted at, which would mean selling off some of my other speakers to pay for. We'll see which I give in to first.

Cheers, Dave