Cheap/Used Vid Cam, Good in Low Light

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by GitVid, Apr 23, 2016.

1. GitVid

GitVid
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running an 'open mic' event in a room above a bar. I want to run a live feed to a projector in the seating area on the street to draw attention. Can anyone recommend a camera (camcorder?) with HDMI out, 1080p resolution that does reasonably well in low light? (I'll try to find a used one on ebay, craigslist, etc.) I have a couple LED stage lights, but it's still a fairly low light situation. (I know cranking the lights up would help, but that would ruin the mood.)
    BTW, in another site's forum I learned one way to send the video to the projector was with a pair of HDMI to Ethernet adapters (the kind you plug into the wall). So, I may buy those after I get the right camera. Thx.

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    The trouble with s'hand gear is it may not work/suit and you can't go back.
    Unless you know what yr buying, it's very much chance.
    Cheap camcorders don't offer "live" o/p via HDMI ( even if they have HDMI - tends to be mid/hi-end gear say £500 min.).
    You could try joining a local Movie-making club - who might be willing to promote yr event - & /Or you'll get plenty of Ideas / Suggestions . . . to determine what will suit.
    +Low-light has improved in the last 5-years....but tends to go in-hand with Cost . . . also beware of "battery-life" - you may need to buy some spares.... or a suitable power-supply.
    Be careful with cables/tripods/etc. as these could become a trip-hazard and wreck your new gear.
    An alternative could be:- run a continuous loop of a recently-filmed evening . . . using decent levels of light i.e. After the main event. . . . This gives you possibilities for Editing . . . and would enable punters to get a feeling of the highlights . . . You can make the film more interesting, by including close-ups of the performers and the audience-reaction, but ask their permission as this is a promo, even if you are doing yr bit for free.
    +++Good Luck.

3. GitVid

GitVid
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks tons, Harry. Good ideas here.