1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap surround speakers please?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pollywoggle, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    A friend at work is getting into Home cinema on a low budget and needs an amp and speakers for about £600. Any ideas? Amp needs to be d/d and dts, any cheap speaker packages out there?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Polly,

I too am getting into HC hopefully by the end of this month and i am also looking to spend sub £600. For an amplifier im going for Sony STR-DB 940 from Richer Sounds at £300 (w/What Hi-Fi coupon) which is £370-£420 at most other places. On the speaker front I'll be getting the Misson 700 Speaker package which consists of 702e fronts, 70DS rears and 70c1. That will also be from RS at £250 again with the magazine coupon. Thats probably the best you can get for £550 and im making massive savings at the same time!

To all you HC buffs, this will be my first taste of DD 5.1/DTS. How better is the above mentioned package compared to the Videologic Dgigitheatre? That was what I originally highlighted to get first but from what i've read it looks like seperates would be well worth the £200 extra investment.

[ 16-06-2001: Message edited by: Spinning Plates ]

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,608
    Oh I think you'll find that the extra cash is very well spent. At this end of the scale of investment vs return, spending an extra few hundred quid here and there on speakers, subwoofers etc makes a real significant difference to the wow factor of your home cinema.

4. siymann

siymann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i've got the sony amp (940) and have really crappy speakers connected to it (im ashamed to admit what they are :( ) yet when my mates come around they always comment on the sound and that it's amazing, and "imagine how good it would be with decent speakers...." lol, maybe one day :rolleyes:

yeah so the amp kick-ass especially @ that price, and mission speakers are always a good bet.. ;)

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony 940 is great value and superb performer. Check out the Mission system as mentioned above or the Tannoy MX4 (or something) surround system. It's supposed to be awesome. I can't comment on the speakers as I have Ruarks but the 940 (which I have) is magnificent.

6. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alternatively, you could look at the Denon 1801, now £249 from sdb-electronics.com and the Mission Cinema 6-pack from EmpireDirect.co.uk for £259.
    This is an oustanding system for £510. The 1801 is not quite as powerful as the Sony 940, but in my opinion, the sound is richer and better defined and the build quality of the amp is excellent (the only let down is the spring-clip surround speaker connectors).
    I would definately recommend this setup be auditioned...