Quantcast

Cheap Stereo Speakers? (Ariston, Eltax...)

phil_evans

Standard Member
I want to run the 'B' speakers from my Yamaha RX-V630RDS about 15 metres into my kitchen so we can hear the TV/ CD/ Radio whilst cooking - my wife gets annoyed when I leave the kitchen door open as the whole house smells of bacon (as if that is a problem!?).

I'm considering the likes of the Ariston £15 jobbies or pushing out the boat for Eltax IIIs @ £50ish - both from RicherSounds. I want the best performance/ price ratio, around the £50 mark from a compact speaker.

Any comments from Ariston/ Eltax owners or any other recommendations.

Maplins look like the business for cheap speaker cable.

Phil

D

Dom H

Mission 700's are about £60 I think from richers and sound MUCH better than the cheap eltax's (which imo sound awful, very anemic)

L

loafer316

Richer sounds also sell the KEF Cresta 1's for 39.99 via their What Hi-Fi offer....i havn't heard these yet but they have been reviewed well.

i might get these as a cheapy pair for a another room...if anyone has them any comments are welcome.

bob1

dont get the ariston £15 jobbies they are s**t

phil_evans

Standard Member
Thanks guys. I guess I'll avoid the Aristons and see what my local RS has in stock on Saturday. The Mission 700s are now only £50 (on the web at least) so they sound the best bet. There's also a 2nd hand hi-fi shop in Kingston, so I'll check that out too.

Will let you know what I get and how it sounds...

Phil

phil_evans

Standard Member
Well, I took my wife along to RS on Saturday which proved a mistake - she point blank refused to have anything the size of a Mission 700/ KEF Cresta 1 in the kitchen. So the sales guy showed us some Mordaunt-Short 302s and we bit the bait. I know they don't go much below 100Hz but they sound good already and they're not even run-in yet.

However, I do have a problem that I didn't even think about at the time (nor did the sales guy think to mention) - impedance matching. My main speakers are 8ohm and the MS's are only 4ohm. Have posted another thread looking for advice...

Phil

Top Bottom