Cheap stereo amp

Mosko

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need a stereo amp to connect to a logitech squeezebox. I plan to connect two speakers. I dont need anything fancy. Perhaps i dont even really need volume and treble/bass controls as presumably i can control that from the sqeezebox?

I went to Richer Sounds and the cheapest they have is a cambridge audio one for about 120gbp, but that has various things i dont need like DAB radio, etc. I just need a connection to the squeezebox (either optical coax or RCA) and output to the speakers.

Presumably i can get something cheap and small (even 20-30gbp??) that is good enough for a bedroom?

thanks
david

Hi,

This thread should be in the hifi section, the mods may move it for if ask nicely :), but while its here, have a look at mini tripath amps.

Tripath TA2024 Mini Cute Class T Amp Amplifier

Can be had for £25-£60 from 10wpc to i think 50wpc and 1 analogue input and well received. Plenty on the bay and amazon

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
thanks guys.

yep i saw that cambridge one in their catalogue (wasn't in stock), but 80 still seems a lot, and it seems to have the DAB radio etc which is just adding to the price for no benefit. will check those other ones out though!

david

thanks guys.

yep i saw that cambridge one in their catalogue (wasn't in stock), but 80 still seems a lot, and it seems to have the DAB radio etc which is just adding to the price for no benefit. will check those other ones out though!

david

Nope, think you're looking at a receiver not this amp.

For your budget I would put a wanted ad in the classifieds here on AVForums:smashin:

If you really just need a minimalist amp, and you don't plan on playing massively loud, the various T-Amps or TriPath amps, as suggested by Don Dadda, are worth considering. They are dirt cheap and sound pretty impressive.

Here is an example -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1663620-diamond-10-2-lepai-ta2020-amp-impressive.html

As long as the volume stays down in the work range of the amps, they sound pretty good. I think the Lepai with tone controls can be had for about £50. You can find these on Ebay, but there are a few dealers who stock them. Try a Google-UK search.

The Lepai is a Tripath T2020. The higher the number, the more powerful the amp, so the TA2024 probably has a bit more power.

Steve/bluewizard

Follow the link below -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1662499-new-lp-players-what-do-i-need.html

In Post #4 you will find a list of low cost Stereo amps. I would prefer these over a TriPath, but then they are going to be more expensive, though they are also far more powerful and more versatile.

As you can see the TriPath aren't much bigger than a pack of cigarettes. Tiny little unobtrusive amps that preform very well, all things considered. But, Personally, I would much rather have a full featured full power amp.

Still to each his own. Do view the videos in my previous link. The sound quality of the Lepai TA2020 is pretty impressive. The Lepai also has Tone Controls which is a handy feature. But the amps have only a single input and a single output. But this is really only about a 10w/ch amp.

Also, as mentioned by other, do consider used amp. Assuming you can trust the seller, you can get some outstanding full featured amps for an pretty amazing price.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard said:
Also, as mentioned by other, do consider used amp. Assuming you can trust the seller, you can get some outstanding full featured amps for an pretty amazing price.

Second hand Rotels are usually a good bet. Good and not too expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom