Cheap startup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kentish, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Kentish

Kentish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know there will be plenty who will dismiss this post as useless,I am not into A/V yet,just starting out,and need some advice on some choices I am looking at,which I agree arent anywhere near what most will look at,its just that budget,wife, kids,mortgage all have a say on what I can spend.

I have been looking at the Yamaha HTIB 45 system,
    the Panasonic SA-HE70 system, or a Kenwood 4060 with Eltax cinema 5.1.

I reaslise most of you wouldnt even entertain these as there not exactly world beaters,but unfortunatley thats all I can go to,plus it has to be silver to even pass the wife.

Any ideas on those mentioned please,I would be so greatful

Many thanks

Kentish:(

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's the absolute limit of your budget?

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With a really tight budget you can't really go wrong with the Yamaha HTiB 45...

4. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For my first setup I toddled on down to richer sounds and picked up last years sony receiver and 4 * Mission 7 series. Although people slate RS it's a great place to start off a ht setup.

You could pickup a half decent receiver + four speakers (highly recommend Mission, best budget speakers bar none) and cabling for < £400

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No one slates Richer Sounds for being a great place to start off a Home Cinema setup, they slate it for the crap service and the coniving salesmanship, with preference going towards naff inhouse products like all that Limit garbage.

The word 'inhonest' springs to mind... don't ask me why, it has nothing to do with RS. Honest!

6. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I haven't been there for a long time as they just don't sell the products I'm after now, but the service was more than satisfactory for me, I agree they do push the crap stuff pretty hard tho.

7. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Started off with a Yamaha system myself and was very pleased with it , a great improvement over the tv speakers and the better half didn`t get the hump about having speakers all over the place. In fact she enjoyed it so much that she actively encouraged me to upgrade.

I would suggest that you also audition the Videologic Digitheatre, the DTS model, and have a look at the acoustic energy aego, www.aego2.acoustic-energy.co.uk

Remember audition the equipment yourself and make up your own mind.

8. Kentish

Kentish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the same situation I am in.I will demo the HTIB45,and see what its like.
    Being small speakers is a big plus to please the wife,and as you are probably aware,once they are happy,then adjustments over a reasonable time frame can be made ...if you get my drift.

Cheers guys