1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kieran314, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Kieran314

Kieran314

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just bought a new lcd (LG 32lx2r) and want to buy the toshiba 350 dvd player to go with it.

what i need is a cheap 5.1 speaker system to hook up to it for a year or so until i can afford a decent system. have you guys any suggestions?

thanks

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Try a search, it's been asked before

3. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without a receiver?

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    more details would help, firstly budget is useful, cheap to a student could mean £60, cheap to an employed person could mean £300.....

secondly, do you mean you want 5.1 speakers with surround amp/receiver for the price, or do you have the amp and only need the speakers?

If its all in one and you got hardly any cash, then go for a Creative or Logitech computer speaker setup, you get a fair old bit of volume from these nowadays, they small and dont take up much room, and cheap....but still worth spending about £100...

If its just the speakers but your budget is higher, more like £300, then go Richer Sounds, get 3 pairs of bookshelfs from Mission or Gale at around £50-60 a pair, then spend the rest on whatever the best sub they got in store is with what money you got left....

if its speakers and amp, but the budget is more like £300, then look for a package where the subwoofer is active and provides power for the matching satellites, but doesnt have onboard decoding, hopefully your DVD player does DD onboard and has 6 channel out, the sub will have 6 channel inputs and then your away, but i cant recommend anything in this style because i've never looked.....
    or in the same way as this last one, get the cheapest receiver/amp you can that does dolby digital, Richer Sounds usually have some around £100, and get a pair of floorstanders for £100, then a centre and pair of rears for the final £100....

if your budget is over £300 by a couple hundred, then get to your local dealer, tell them what you after and they should be able to demo a few things for you...