Cheap speakers to go with ta2020 amp

Porthos

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought the following amp:
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Can anyone recommend some cheap speakers for up to £40 delivered? They are just for the kitchen so don't expect anything special.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That is a somewhat difficult price range to hit.

The JBL Control 1 are well regarded and reasonably compact, though a bit over your budget -

Superfi - JBL CONTROL 1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

I have an older version of these speaker, Sony SS-B1000, and they are pretty impressive for the modest amount they cost -

Sony SSB1000 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

They seem a little hard to come by at the moment though.

An absolute deal on a speaker that originally cost much more, is the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0, -

Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

This is probably your best bet. These speakers are end of stock close-outs, and are worth more like £100/pr. The specs are pretty decent for a small speaker -

Product - Products - Wharfedale Hi-Fi

The price can't be beat, and the quality is higher than other speakers near that price. Also, from RicherSound.com consider Eltax and Gale, though they are not the quality of the Wharfedale speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Those Wharfedales do look like a deal! I'll ring my local store tomorrow to see if they have any stock. Thanks.

I picked up the wharfedales today and tested them on my marantz pm6003 and they were absolutely terrible! My creative 2.1 PC speakers sounded better (probably because they had a dedicated sub for bass). Never mind, I'll have to bring them back to richer sounds. Thanks.

To be fair, with a £40 budget, you haven't given us much to work with.

I would suggest you take your amp to Richer Sounds and try an assortment of their cheaper speakers, and see if any appeal to you.

Steve/bluewizard

Sorry if that came across the wrong way. You are right, I can't expect much at £40, thank you for your help :) I think I'll be better off getting a cheap 2.1 setup so I can get some bass at least.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom