1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap speakers for SACD playback?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GazW, Jun 15, 2005.

1. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need some speakers for an amp - I'm considering either a Pioneer VSX-D514S, a Pioneer VSX-515S or a JVC RX6042. The amp I get will be used for the usual DVD film watching, but also for listening to SACDs, CDs and DVD Audio (connected to a Pioneer DV-515 DVD player).

Ideally I need 100kHz speakers at least at the front (so I'm told) to get SACD sound quality. The trouble is, I've heard that they are expensive (£400 at least), which is out of my price range.

What really baffles me is that I know someone who has a Sony DAV-SA30, which cost £250 when new and has 100kHz speakers for SACD playback, and that's information straight out of the manual!

With this in mind, how much should I expect to pay for a half decent set of speakers. The room I'm in isn't ideal for surround; it's actually far from ideal because it's a loft conversion with a staircase running right through the middle of the room, so the TV is to the right of the staircase and the PC is to the left (just to give a rough idea of what it's like).

So anyway, I need speakers but don't want to spend a huge amount, if that's possible! I was told to say what I listen to.... Bon Jovi, U2, R.E.M., Coldplay to name but a few... hope that gives a big enough picture of the kind of music I listen to.

I would appreciate any advice/ideas.

Thanks,

Gaz

2. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have been told something a little incorrect there. SACDs do have a frequency response that high, but you really don't need to have speakers reaching 100khz. Human hearing tops off at about 20khz. The advantages of speakers the reach much higher than this is debatable, and even so most super/hyper tweeters roll-off at about 30-50khz. The inherent noise shaping for the DSD signal on SACDs produces a large amount of noise in the 50khzish range. So if you could somehow percieve that high, you'd be percieving junk. The world of hi-fi is definitely one where you need to take anything written in a manual or in a magazine, and obviously in a forum with a pinch of salt.

The real advantages of SACD or hi-res PCM (like DVD-Audio) are improved accuracy in the normal 20hz-20khz hearing range. While it'd be nice to have speakers that extend beyond this, if your price range for your whole surround set is less than £400 i wouldnt worry about it.

For the record I have a set of 5 Gale bookshelf speakers totalling £260 (though they are cheaper now I believe) and a £50 eltax sub. While not the best system in the world I am very happy with how it sounds. Do remember to get three front speakers that are from the same range, preferably get matching rears too, though a bit less important.

I used to be in a loft room too, and it can be difficult arranging 6 speakers in the correct place. Might be an idea to post a diagram of your room layout here so we can make some suggestions.

3. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the info! I'll see what they have along those lines at Richer Sounds... as long as I know I won't be doing the wrong thing! Do you have any idea whether the speakers you suggested would match one of the amps I'm looking at?

I'll draw out a room layout tomorrow - there might be a AutoCAD one somewhere I can convert to a JPEG, which would be ideal because it would all be to scale! I'm sure it's possible to do something, but the speakers are going to have to be quite low down - the size of the fronts isn't a problem but the rears may need to be quite small - low ceiling + large speaker + bed = sore head.

Anyway thanks again for your help,

Gaz

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try and get speakers from the same range from the same manufacturer if possible as they are normally tailored to give a similar sound. This isn't that important when watching films but can make a significant difference to the overall tonal sound if you are listening to multi channel music.

I have M&K speakers and whilst the rears are only one third of the size of the fronts they are approximately similar tonally. The SACD version of Dark Side of the Moon will sound terrible if the speakers are mismatched.

5. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that the 'rears' on a 5.1 system are actually designed to be somewhere between 90 and 110 degrees from the centre channel.

I don't know how well the Gales would match those amps. For the record I use a Yamaha amp. Best thing is to see if you can try the speakers and amp together in the shop.

6. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gaz

Whether or not the extended frequency range demanded by SACD and DVD-
    A require speakers capable of that range is a topic that can be debated at great length. I'm guessing that on your budget you wont be purchasing speakers that can play back these high freq. I tend to agree with the camp that 'supertweeters and hypertweeters' do have their merits and are important for accurate reproduction of SACD and DVD-A. That said, you need to pair those speakers up with suitable amplification and cabling etc. etc. to reap those benefits. Pairing Kef refs or Tannoys or the like to those amps, IMHO, just wont do them justice at all. Its like putting a beetle engine in a Porche 911 !

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2143

Read this review and it should shed some light on what i'm talking about.
    All this being said, stick to IanJ's advice and find a suitably priced set of speakers that are closely matched and from the same manufacturer and DEMO them first. make sure you like their sound because brands do differ.

Skinny