1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap SP4805s.. worth the risk?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by guido, Jan 13, 2005.

1. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have been looking for DLP Projector and found that shopatdigital on Ebay have 12 of these at a fixed price of £899. This seem too good to be true... have asked some questions and am awaiting reply. My main concern (apart from losing the money!) is the warranty and who will honour it. Infocus on their web site seem to be very picky about unauthorised dealers (or is trhat just in the USA?) and that if you buy from one of these then warranty is out the window!

Link is here. What does anyone think about this? Or should I just go to av-sales and spend extra £400 for peace of mind!!! Thats a screen and some cable!

2. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at that, but noticed that they do mention that import tax may have to be paid. Not sure how much it is but I seem to remember its not that cheap. And of course the customer service is going to be a problem

3. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We recently bought our Infocus X1 from pixmania (based in France), and have no problem registering at Infocus.com.

As for tax, at the very least you will have to pay 17.5% VAT. On top of that there may be import duty (need to look at TARIC etc), and handling cost for the guys trying to get this tax off of you! So if you add 20-25% I think that would be a good ballpark figure for the package, so (£900 + £30 + £15) + 25% tax etc = £1,181.25.

Since you can get the SP4805 at Creative Audio for £1300 complete with cable and screen, I personally would give the eBay one a miss.

4. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ignore

5. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is being shipped from the US - isn't it therefore US Spec i.e. NTSC? Also - I am sure that the Infocus UK distributors have something to say about this - even though it says that the warranty will be honoured - is the warranty as good as that offered on a proper UK spec machine.....?

6. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I saw on some US forum that a whole load of 4805's had been stolen and peeps were to watch out for some going cheap.

7. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All good advice... and when spending this money would prob rather have peace of mind. Oh well... am getting £400 from sale of some Halifax Shares... just dont tell the GF what I'm spending it on :D

The creative audio deal looks good... want an 83" diag screen so will prob give them a bell to see if they can do me a deal.

Cheers for the advice :smashin:

8. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Yep read that yesterday on AVS sub $3500 - DLP forum following notification by infocus who If I remember correctly stated they have all of the serial No's or something like that.

Click on the link below

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=485274

MikeD

9. theronster

theronster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I bought my Infocus 5700 from these same people with absolutely no problem.

Excellent communication throughout the transaction, and the projector was perfectly set up for UK use - all I had to do was put a three-pin plug on one of the cables, as it only had US and European plugs on them. The PJ automatically detects voltage so that isn't a problem.

I don't know about stolen stuff, but I registered mine with Infocus 2 months ago or so and no-one has kicked my door down yet!

10. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :mad: RIP OFF BRITAIN STRIKES AGAIN :mad:

Guido you're spot on. All UK prices are £1300 (plus some freebies with some suppliers) but in the US, they're selling for $1300. With the current ForEx, that's almost half the price :eek:
    • Warranty - infocus only validate if from a authorised dealer
    • US Postage - you're going to pay more
    • Tax and duty - you'll have to pay it
    • Specification - is it the same?

But with a difference of £600 it's worth looking into, right :smashin:

Well I did and last week received mine from an authorised dealer B&H in NY, five, yes five days :hiya: after the order went through. So what's the result?
    Cost was $1300 (use your own forex) + £167 shipping, tax and duty. It's a significant saving folks! Because B&H are a registered stockist, warrenty's all OK, registered the prodct no problemo, and the SP4805 is a WW spec. Haven't run the digibox through it yet, but it works a treat (a real treat) with my DVD players. The only thing is that you get a standard US power lead, but most of us are going to change that anyway (buy one and make it - see other threads).

SO in the end I'm :laugh: With the saving I've bought the speakers and AV receiver, plus a bunch of quality interconnects. And I might still have saving leaft over to cover a screen (using a cream coloured wall at present.

GO FOR IT - you can do it right without the risk of EBay :thumbsup:

11. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My finger's slipped in the excitement :clap:

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Great so I just put on a UK plug easy :)
    My parents live in the USA so I am going to buy one from the USA ebay for about £500 - £550 then have them bring it home from me and pay no duty :)

13. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Legally they stil have to pay duty and VAT on goods over the allowance (remind them to ensure to claim back any taxes in the US if applicable). Guess the question is do they want to risk it???? :cool:

14. postbag

postbag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered mine yesterday at 11am from Komplett.co.uk for £1.059.00 +£20 shipping. Got it today at 12noon. :clap:

15. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent! Enjoy - I'm sure you will.