1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap sound Insulation?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by The_Mole, Aug 24, 2005.

1. The_Mole

The_Mole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will be decorating my Living room soon. The decorating and all other other items, settee, units etc will be centred around my 5.1 set-up. Have decided to use tongue and groove wood cladding/panelling to cover the lower part of the room. This will give me roughly 1" of free space between the wall and the panelling. I will be using this space to cover unsightly wires; speaker cable, extensions etc. While thinking about this I realised that i could also use this space to "Sound insulate" the lower part of the living room. Does anyone know of a cheap proffessional or DIY material that i could use that is flexible enough to go around the wires and the battening? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    what are you hoping to achieve?

3. The_Mole

The_Mole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully this would like to be able to play my 5.1 a little louder and later without fear of upsetting my neighbours. Thought I would take the oppportunity while decorating to see what is possible and what isnt.

4. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    the problem is you will only be doing a small part of the wall, it wont stop that much transmission!

do a search for sound insulation, there have a been quite a few threads of late discussing this