1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap & Simple Screen Idea (with pics)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by j98, Aug 24, 2005.

1. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Had an idea for a screen earlier & just finished it off - so far I am happy with it!

I am living in rented accommodation and therefore want to do minimal damage to the walls. I also have no diy skills at all :( Mounting a proper screen would probably have meant drilling, as well as making a flat screen some kind of border. All that sounded like a lot of effort and so I never quite got round to it.

As I was previously just projecting on a white wall, I thought why not just build a kind of frame and continue using the wall, which gives a good enough picture for me anyway. The only thing that was annoying me before was the light spilling all around the (blurry) edges.

Made this 80" frame out of 4 sheets of A1 Daler mountboard that cost £3.85 each. Some awkward measuring, cutting and sticking but the only marks it will leave are a few sticky fixer backings which can easily be painted over.

This is my first home cinema (in my bedroom) and is a strictly low-budget affair. The projector is a Toshiba ET1 that I got for about £350 a few months back. I am very happy with it until I can create my first dedicated room cinema when I finally grow up and get my own place.

I just put the projector on a stool to test the screen tonight so the shape/colour are not quite as good as they will be, but it'll look ok for Lost on E4 in 20 mins :D

Attached Files:

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    looks good doesnt seem to be any light around the room at all in the movie pics

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to screens forum.

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Good job for £15. :thumbsup:

5. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Oops sorry!

6. Caprylate

Caprylate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How do you block out so much light? I'd love to get a projector but my living room is totally unsuited to one as its naturally very bright, but I'd like to know how to elimnate so much light anyways.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    There is curtain lining material called blackout cloth that comes in various colours, and you can sew that into your curtains to stop light leakeage through them when they are drawn. Where else does light come into the room?

Gary.

8. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Actually I can only use my projector at night until I sort out some curtains or a decent blind. There is a streetlight outside the window but it gives quite a nice orangey glow and doesn't intefere with the projector too much, as you can see from the pictures.