Cheap separates

bigonroad

Standard Member
Hey there.

I'm looking at being really cheap with my new TV surround sound - buying a 5.1 amp, and two nice speakers I already have, then adding the other pieces as time moves on.

A few questions: can most 5.1 amps converts stereo input into a 5.1 output? Doesn't need to be perfection, just don't want a 6 speakers sitting there with only two making sound...

Is there anything you can "recommend" in the £60-£100 area? Happy to go secondhand, etc. I know you aren't going to be happy recommending anything that cheap - I've got a £300 NAD CD player upstairs, but I just do not have cash to buy nice for this one...

Bless,
Chris

PSM1

Distinguished Member
All 5.1 receivers will create a pseudo 5.1 sound from a stereo source (via Prologic or Neo) so no worries there. What speakers do you have? Look in the classifieds on here to see what you can get for your budget. Do you need 3D? HDMI? what are your sources? If you do not need modern features then you can get a reasonable older 5.1 reciever with your budget.

bigonroad

Standard Member
Thanks for that!

I'm looking at the disgustingly cheap end at the moment - 5.1 HOME THEATRE AUDIO AMPLIFIER RECEIVER SYSTEM 400W (8715693177114) | eBay

I asked the question, since I have a friend with one of those 5.1 dvd players+speaker all in ones, and 2 channel AV inputs come through only on the L+R speakers, not others.

Will have a look at the classifieds. If you could choose, given my budget, what would you buy?

Chris

Last edited:

bigonroad

Standard Member
My TV has only a headphone minijack and an optical output.

Is there a cheap way of converting optical to 5.1 RCA plugs, so I can run with an amp with no optical input?

Bless,
Chris

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The short answer to the optical to RCA is no. Have a look in the classifieds on here as I am sure you will be able to find a receiver with optical inputs on here for around that money. Also that amp does not appear to have prologic so may not give you 5.1 with stereo sources either.

bigonroad

Standard Member
I have decided to spend a little more - having freecycled up some rather awesome speakers for free.

Thanks for all your help!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom