1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheap screens (paper?!? what madness is this? :)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jimbobuk, Apr 2, 2003.

1. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I just read on a thread that someone is using a 66" piece of paper for his screen... whilst this is obviously a bit dodgy it appeals... I'm torn between just gettin a projector initially or going the whole hog... i was considering getting a white cotton sheet and weighting it down to make it tight...

Basically where the hell do you get such big pieces of paper from!?!? :)

ANyone know any other cheap solutions... should i take the jump... will a draper luma screen be ok.. I'm worried it wont hang too straight :(

Thanks

Jim

2. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Jim

I've got a 2 metre Ikea blackout roller blind installed (waiting for PJ!), hasn't wrinkled that I've noticed since I've installed it. As I posted on another thread it is remarkably similar in colour to Da-Lite's HCCV material.

I've got some pics but they're too big to put on this forum, anyone got any tips on how i can shrink them down in size (they're currently about 400k)? They're from a 2 megapixel camera as jpg's, but bear n mind that I use an iMac to surf so I don't have any photo-manipulation tools such as paintshop.

Cheers
    Greg

3. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greg

If you want to email those images to me, I will reduce the file size for you, make them more web friendly. I can even stick them online for you to post a link to.

I have pm'd you my email addy if you want to take me up on this.

Gerry

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    I made a wooden frame and stretched/stapled blackout cloth over it.

It was meant to be temporary, but years later I'm still using it. :)

Pics on my web site if you're interested - it cost me just £28 all in.

Gary.

5. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    interesting... i was looking at 82cm screen.. i was thinking of building my own screen black out anyways with felt and magnets to attach it.. a hassle but worth it if i can be bothered...

is the ikea blind lighter than a typical projector screen or about the same??!?

6. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I need to possibly hang it off the wall for fear of not finding the rafters to attach it to...

I sadly HAVE to use a pulldown or some other screen as stuff is in the way and i'm projecting onto the side of the room with the window... I can see that permanent screen solutions, and even painted walls are going to be the best (no kinks in brick i guess ;) but I just can't go down that route yet..

Are these 2m black out blinds sold in Ikea or only available on the website.. how much are they!??! there must be some way i can attach it off the wall.. just fitted venetian blinds.. used some funny hook locking mechanism...

Argh... I may hold out on the screen just to allow budget.. if a blind from Ikea is readily available in my local store and costs less than or around £50 then i'll simply have to try it.. it makes financial sense... i just want to be able to use the projector a bit ... having no valid screen means either not properly mounting the projector and using it in other rooms temporarily.. or not using it at all :(

Thanks...

7. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't let the lack of screen budget keep you from awe-inspiring huge cinematic experiences.... the wall will do just fine until you feel you can either: a) afford a better solution, or b) decide the wall just 'aint good enough

most important thing though - don't think that just because a screen might cost £500 - that the image from it will be FAR superior to a sheet of paper, blackout material or a wall.... its your eyes you gotta please!!

8. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first screen was a sheet from Tesco's drawing-pinned to the ceiling :]

The main benefit of a proper screen was that it didn't flap in the draught so much :D definately good enough to get the idea.

In the end I got one of these which for <£250 works really well. Although it has no addition black drop like the procinema (an advantage in my case ;) ).

-- Jon

9. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    gothmog... i was looking at your pictures last night i think.. saw the sheet.... with the T3 pictuers....

I can't do a wall sadly... wish i could... i'd love a BIG sheet of paper but i will give a cotton sheet a go today, or look into a blackout blind from ikea... still dont know if they're sold in the store.. will go look this afternoon... I can then hold off and perhaps get a better screen than i would get if i got one now.. tab tensioned perhaps...

Thanks for the msg goth tho.. i was looking through your pics, sure eventually the screen you got.. and wondered which one it was

10. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Just go to your local store that sells materials for curtains and dresses. Buy a length of curtain blackout material. You should be able to get it in widths up to (about) 54 inches. Use that to give you the picture height..... that's good for 16 :9 but might not be so good for 4:3 stuff. Get the store to ROLL the material rather than fold it. When you get it home you can make up a cheap wooden frame and stretch and staple the material onto it. That should be very light.

This sort of thing has been discussed before... do a search.

Brian

11. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I can't use a permanent screen solution... i was looking for an actual blind type constuction... but I may buy the material just for that purpose... although annoyingly no easy way of suspending it at the ideal height.. could attach it to two stands which i could move together when not in use...

This material is cheap?? Ohh and your talking any store that sells material... not Ikea !??

Its just Insp Gadget was talking about a 2m roller blind... (having just looked up at the top) this is what I need....

The 300u is arriving tomorrow, so time is being gotten off to play around anyways... I want black out blind material for the back of my curtains anyways to actually black them out more :)

12. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I got my Da-Lite screen, I glued dozens of sheets of A4 paper to my wall.

It was ok, better than the wallpaper which is green.

13. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks to Gerry (Vexorg) :clap: , you can now view some pics of the blackout roller blind from Ikea both extended and retracted (although I'm pretty sure you all know what a roller blind looks like when rolled up !!).

It's only £20, and the cream one is but a shade or two different to Da-Lites HCCV material. I can hopefully give it a full test tonight if the ae300 arrives today so I'll let you know how it fairs !! The bottom valence is quite chunky and I've got a thick hollow plastic tube in there ready for some sand or concrete (!!) to help with the slight curve it has from being rolled up for the past three weeks.

The name of the blind is Tupplur, and should be available in all their stores. I'm going to be using the rubbery side as it has less grain and is slightly more reflective.

Ikea Blind

14. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I built one using some blackout cloth and a roller blind kit, Ive got some details for it in the DIY forum.. For the price it cost me i cannot really complain but it does tend to crease when i roll it up but once its down for a couple of hours they seem to become more unnoticable, hope that helps !!!

15. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I got my screen I experimented with white walls, grey walls and even tried a piece of blackout material.

I decided that it wasn't the best idea to try using say £2500 of projector and then not buying a screen for it - a bit like fitting £30 remould tyres on your new car.

I managed to get a 180*102cm projecta procinema electrol (electric) for £450. The picture is better than the wall or blackout material by a reasonable margin.

The performance of the screen is easy to measure if you use something like AVIA. Bring up a grey field - something like 40IRE - and look at the screen. Using a wall or blackout material you will notice a phenomenon known as "hot spotting" where the middle of the grey field will appear brighter than the edge. This was quite noticeable on a wall or the blackout blind. Try the same on a professional screen and the grey field is even from edge to edge.

This effect is quite hard to notice on video material unless you have dark scenes where you lose detail quite a bit at the edges.

Although a DIY screen is OK as a stopgap, I personally would encourage anyone with a projector to use a proper screen material (you could make a DIY screen using professional screen material) otherwise you aren't really getting 100% out of your projector. Painted walls, blinds, bits of paper... they don't have the same optical qualities as a screen. Being white is not enough. Screen manufacturers spend a lot of money and effort in making the screen diffuse light evenly and making the coating even on the screen in order to reduce hot-spotting and other phenomena.

J

16. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I brought the ikea blind and have been messing with it... temporarily tested it with the 300u that arrived today.. and found it a HUGE improvement over the cotten sheet that had made its impression of a back lit alps on the curtain it was hanging.... In attaching it with double sided tape to the curtain rail (which it fell off a few times) has basically damaged the thing... I am hoping that you can remount a new blind of the same type easily.. not looked at how it actually mounts into ... can you take the blind out of its mount and put it back in again easily!?!?

I've got the cream coloured one i was planning to go back to get the pure white one... do you think the grey one is ok...

ANyways i'm sure real screans are great... the thing is how well do they hang... when not tab-tensioned... surely its going to be a problem again, and you are going to have to be very careful around the screen to try and keep it ok...

I will get one at some point.. and you are right... getting an expensive projector and then using a crap screen is a little silly... but by the projectors very expense i am going to have to wait alittle while to budget for a screen.. i just wish i had a wall where i could have a permanent screen...

Until then tho I really do rate the ikea blinds... they are an absolute bargain at £20 and give a really nice home cinema experience... i'm new to projectors so i'm sure its crap relatively.. but its a VERY VERY good first step for 10x less than the cheapest pro screen...

17. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Insp Gadget..

what diameter is the plastic tube you have in the bottom of the blind.. I imagine this would work wonders for adding weight... get some heavy metal in there ;) I wasn't even aware you could get anything into that thick bottom seam...

Seriously Ikea should market these blinds as potential budget screens as well as whatever else.. ohh blacking out...

18. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've put a bar in there that I took out of a DIY roller blind kit I got off the net for £13 (the link is in a previous post on this forum somewhere). It's oval in shape and is 2cm wide at it's widest part so plenty wide enough to stuff something in there.

I'm going to use this until such times as the extension is built and then I'll have a nice big blank wall (and much bigger room) to hang a "proper" screen on :)