1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ricky27, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I know it wont do my PJ justice but after spending so much i cant justify a fortune on a screen.
    All im after is a 7 or 8 foot wide screen which is either a pull up or a ceiling mounted pull down.
    If anyone knows where i can get one please tell.

2. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    It has to be 4/3

3. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've found white mat emulsion on the wall makes a pretty good screen and it is really cheap!

4. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Not if youve just spent a fortune on vinyl wall covering!

5. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oops

6. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Ditto Jonny. That's where a lot of us have bought ours from.
    Give them a call. The website only gives a selection of their vast range. Very helpful bunch indeed.

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends if you like DIY...although it really is easy to make. Do a search on the forums for

ICESTORM

Quite a few people use this and imho its very good for LCD projectors and creates much better blacks than white screens.

James

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    I use a pale grey roller blind (blackout style). 8 foot wide £145 from John Lewis. 6 foot ones are a stock item and much cheaper (£60 ish).

10. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At first, I Used a 6 feet wide piece of MDF painted Dulux Icestorm 6 (mixed at B&Q) but the blacks were poor with my PT-AE100.

Icestorm 5 was much better but then I decided 6 feet wide wasn't big enough so I painted a wall Icestorm 5 instead.

Now I have an 82" wide screen.

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonny1973 you can have B&Q deliver MDF to your door, or you can collect it. If you go to the B&Q Warehouses they have much larger MDF sizes, up to 8 foot by 4 foot. I had mine cut down a bit and then delivered, the whole screen cost me about £30 inc delivery!.

James

12. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Nigel wrote...

"I use a pale grey roller blind (blackout style). 8 foot wide £145 from John Lewis. 6 foot ones are a stock item and much cheaper (£60 ish)."

Nigel, do you know how the grey of the John Lewis blind compares to the Icestorm 5 paint grey that many people here have recommended? Is it at all similar?

Are you satisfied that the John Lewis grey improves blacks while not affecting whites too much?

Thanks.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

13. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nigel the blind option sounds like a good one considering how much a screen would cost for this size.

What is the quality like?

Also I had a look on the John Lewis website and can't see a screen which is 8ft wide, did you get this from in the store or was it specially ordered?

Cheers

Tony

14. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    If you do buy a blind and its not quite the right colour you can spray or paint it with Icestorm 5. Just make sure you add some PVA to the paint before applying to stop it cracking.

15. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I still have my 60x80 DaLite model B for sale.......

It's too big for my new flat, and I was going to paint a wall with
    egg shell white for a max of a 90" 'screen'.

I just did a search at diy.com for Icestorm, but got nothing ?

BJ

16. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dulux Icestorm 5 or Icestorm 6 are not available off the shelf. They have to be mixed.

Most B&Q or Homebase stores have a Dulux paint mixing service. Make sure you ask for Matt emulsion.

When people have mentioned doing a search for Icestorm, they mean on this forum.

17. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Tomson wrote...

"If you do buy a blind and its not quite the right colour you can spray or paint it with Icestorm 5. Just make sure you add some PVA to the paint before applying to stop it cracking."

Does that really work? Have you actually done it? The paint would have be incredibly flexible to withstand the sort of punishment it would get on a roller-blind. What ratio of PVA to paint would you recommend?

Thanks.

Bert

18. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    help....
    are all these screens used behind the speaker set-up. The problem i can see happening ( not bought pj yet) is in my set-up i need to keep existing tv/cabinet/speakers but just add the screen, that would hand infront of TV and speakers.

Having looked a the direkt2u they do Acousticly transparent screens but are quite pricey

has anyone got round this issue, i dont really want to keep moving the 28" tele about so i can project onto a painted wall /screen behind the speakers.

cheers

19. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Accoustically transparent screens are not recommended for use with DLP or LCD projectors.

The grid of holes in the screen and the grid of the LCD panels causes problems.

Won't the projector screen go above the TV? Mounted on the ceiling perhaps.

20. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    dont think it will.. only about 3ft from top of tv to bottom of fancy coving ( the ornate 8" stuff). Plus the TV sits fairly high at the mo, so above it would be like sitting in the front row at the oden, a little too high. :(

Maybe ill have to move the tv for the times i use the pj... bit of an arse, then again with 5000 hours out of an AE100 i could loose the TV altogther, still thats a wife problem.... life is unfair :mad:

21. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Sorry, I have no idea.

Yes, 100%. It also reduces the effect of back-reflections (ie bright scenes reflecting back off the walls onto the screen, diffusing black areas. I have very light coloured decor, which isn't ideal.

22. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    That's why I did it.

Put it this way: the original idea was temporary (to save money at the time) with the intention to upgrade to a "proper" screen later. Having seen "proper" screens, and had 2 years/1000 hours use of my roller blind, I have no motivation to upgrade. The only "slight" issue is keeping it flat. I use a system of bulldog clips and elastic. But I wouldn't say this is essential. Without, it curls a little bit at the sides, that's all. It isn't hugely visible in normal use.

They have 6 foot in stock. Any wider, you have to get it specially made. There are other places that will make the same thing at similar cost.

23. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers Nigel :)

I phoned around a few places yesterday and actually found a place just around the corner from me that will make a blind 95 in by 55 in for around £115 + VAT.

It looks as though I am going to inclose the blind in a false celing box which I am going to knock together but I have the problem of the chord coming down from the ceiling.

However the company which makes the blind say they can do an electric version with remote for an extra £250, very tempting!!!!

I am going to pop around to see them soon and take a look at the fabrics they have and hopefully get a sample to try and project onto.

DIY her I come :)

24. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Nigel, many thanks for the reply. I've now obtained some Icestorm 5 and will paint up a small sample and compare with blind fabrics.

Thanks again.

Bert

25. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Tony

For that money (£350), you can get a "proper" electric screen. It will not be a big name like Da-Lite, Vutec or Stewart, but it will have black borders and offer a 1.0 - 1.2 gain with minimal or no hot spotting. Of course, the ones I've seen at this price are white, and i don't know if the cheaper companies do grey yet?

Call Embassy Electronics in Welling, Kent and tell them your requirements and budget, they may be able to accomodate?

Cheers Kane

26. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers Kane,

phoned them up for a quote and a manual pull-down would be £250 and an electric version would be £620.

Would like to go for a proper screen but the price is still a factor, I am browsing the web to see what the best offer I can find, if anyone knows of a good supplier of cheap screens can you let us all know.

Cheers

Tony

27. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry for giving you wrong advice regarding a £350 electric screen, my mind was somewhere else! Good luck in your search! Have you tried putting a wanted post in the classified section of this forum?

Kane

28. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Kane,

Just went to the blind manufacturers to see what I could get and also take a look at the materials.

They have given me some samples to try and have given me a quote for a screen of 95x55 inches for £100 inc VAT.

A motorised version would add £300 to the cost so I think I can live with a piece of string hanging from the ceiling for now :)

I think this is the way I am going to go as it will enable me to put the projector at the back of the room in a permanent setup, better than running it off the coffee table as I do now!

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Jonny and the General re: www.direkt2u.co.uk

They're very helpful - and I'm very pleased with my Dalite model B with CSR (Controlled screen return). I wanted a 70" wide 16:9 screen (a widescreen wide screen you could say - ha.. um, sorry).
    The minimum size with CSR was bigger, so Dalite did a custom job, not that you'd know, and it's great! £330 all in, not bad at all I thought!

(Jonny and the General.. sounds like a crap film!)

30. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Tonyoevans wrote...

"Just went to the blind manufacturers to see what I could get and also take a look at the materials.

"They have given me some samples to try and have given me a quote for a screen of 95x55 inches for £100 inc VAT. "

That's a good price. My local blind retailer quoted £187 for 96" x 60". This was in a blackout material (light grey, dead matt) which might have pushed the price up a bit, but that's still quite a difference.

Which manufacturer did you go to?

Regards,

Bert